• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Psychological Issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, so here it is in a quick spill. I find that I am becoming bored with my computer, after having switched over to Linux about 3 months back. Maybe its the fact that I dont have to spend 90% of my time fixing problems, but I dunno. I have taken up Java programming, and that provides some relief, but I cant stare at a book (since im learning still) for more then an hour or two without taking a break. I have Morrowind installed, but have yet to play it, because I cant get it to take a fullscreen resolution that is actually fullscreen (max is like 1156x832 (or something equally obscure to that)) and that annoys me immensely when trying to play. I have UT2K4, but the lack of an in depth storyline does not interest me in the slightest. I dunno, I have my computer setup fine with Gentoo, so the excitement of learning more and more is slowing down.

What do you all recommend? My problem stopping me from doing art, is the fact that I cannot get Gimp to recognize my tablet's pressure sensitivity at all. I have gone step by step into the documentation, and still no luck. With no art, I do no web development. With no web dev means no further experimentation with PHP/MySQL (with which I have become quite adeqate). So, you can all see my problem here.

If you have programming skills (which it seems you do), get involved with some of the various open source development projects and help move linux forward. Make a real contribution to the movement. If you go to any of the sites for the major linux projects (gentoo, gnome, kde, openoffice, etc.) as well as many of the smaller ones, there are links on how you can personally help. Some of the things are extraordinarily simple. Some involve web design, some programming, some are as simple as creating better organized menu scheme for common linux products.

By its very nature, Linux is owned, operated, and maintained by its user base. That means us. I try to donate to projects I believe in as well, gentoo mostly, as I really want them to succeed.

Ok, I will check into that. Know any of the Open Source groups looking for a PHP/MySQL coder off the top of your head? I cant do any website interface design right now, because as mentioned before, no pressure sensitivity on my tablet, and I have come to rely on that to make much of the work that I do to have a high level of quality, before I deem it acceptable.

You know, thinking, I might try to jump onto the Gaim side for a few weeks, and try to figure out their NAT problem, as that has been a constant state of annoyance for me.

Just learn PHP and look at something you like, something you would have yourself and either help an existing team doing this, or create something on your own.

I know PHP, but the only issue right now, is that I myself cannot make an interface for the creations I can come up with, and I cannot think of any good ideas. All the thoughts I have area already done in one form or another. Unless somebody is wanting to join up with me to start up some large-scale project, im pretty out of ideas.

I'm looking into some Mac OSX programming to work on the X11 port of Open Office... they seriously need some help. It's extremely buggy - in fact, I'm trying to make a new starter script which would automatically open OO without having to open X11 and type in "openoffice" at the prompt because the old one is horrific. Maybe you couuld help them out over at www.openoffice.org :D

Back