• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New AMD Gaming Build, What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hey,

I am really excited for this new build, i wanted to keep it around 1500$ Canadian but I went over budget, its gonna cost me about 1800$.

Nothing is engraved in stone yet but here is what I have so far, please critique it:

Case: ARTEC GUARDIAN 868 BLUE Link

PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600W Link

Procesor: AMD 64 +3200 2.0GHz Link

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Link

or

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Link

Memory: Corsair Value Pack 1024MB Link

Floppy: Sony Black 1.44MB 3.5 inch Link

Video Card: MSI NX6600 GT 128mb Link

DVD-ROM: LD 16x Black DVD-ROM 48x Cd-ROM Link

CD Burner: LG Black CD-RW 52x32x52x Link

Keyboard/Mouse: Microsoft Optical combo Link

Monitor: 19" VIewsonic Perfect FLat Black Link

Well that's all of it :D

I know youre going to tell me I only have one Video Card but thats ok, I will get another one in the future, for now this will be fine. Other than that what do you guys say?

Which MOBO do you reccomend??

Thanks for the input, but the one i chose is listed as SLI compatible on the Nvidia website so I'm gonna stick to it.

I would go with a DFI NF4 SLI myself. If not, than the MSI would be my choice.

Agreed on the PSU, go with an OCZ Powerstream, well worth it. Fortron also makes a great PSU. PSU's are so important once you start overclocking. Which leads me to that question, is this going to be o/c'ed?

If that memory is to be ran at default than it's alright, but you might want to consider something with some overclocking headroom.

I'm not a fan of that case, but that's just a personal preference, it's important you like it and not me :p

How about a USB FDD instead of the 3.5"? Only time i use a floppy anymore is for memtest. I don't even use it to flash anymore now with the Windows utilities.

Venice would be nice, now sure how long you're willing to wait on that though. They should be available within the next few weeks.

And you're buying XP, good for you.....i didn't know anyone did that anymore :p

Otherwise looks good, hope you enjoy it. :welcome:

he will be fine that p/s is 80% efficient and cost like 175bucks us. don't worry the thing is loud but you can mod it will small/quieter fans.

Get a Venice you are so close wait 7 more days.

el said:
he will be fine that p/s is 80% efficient and cost like 175bucks us. don't worry the thing is loud but you can mod it will small/quieter fans.

Get a Venice you are so close wait 7 more days.

Yeah, that's not a bad PSU, but i don't care for Enermax :p

Yes, get Venice, you'll be happy you did.

You might want to just get a DVD Burner (NEC has a quality version for roughly $50.00 US). They burn DVD-+R/RW as well as CD-R/RW and they play all formats perfectly. No reason to buy two drives anymore. Save money and some space in your case.

Speaking of the case did you check any reviews for the cooling on that thing? It looks like it could kick Voltron's *** but will it keep your 'puter parts nice and breezy? :)

What exactly is a Venice?

Since nobody seems to like my PSU lol what do you think of this one?

OCZ Powerstream 520 Watt Low Noise Link

???

Venice is the newest core of Athlon 64, due out soon. The early test results are making EVERYONE ( MYSELF INCLUDED) salivate.
The OCZ power supply is a good choice, but, many here prefer Fortran. I think Your other choice looked nice also......
Good luck......Iron.

If you are intending on going SLI down the future I would pony up the money to get a 6800GT. Test results so far show that SLI 6600GTs only perform as good as a single 6800GT and often worse. You could save some money by getting a Dell Monitor, they are really good monitors with some incredible prices. You can get their 20" Widescreen for on $411! and the 19" for about $260 I think.

Definitely get a DVD burner, as was said before, they don't cost much more, and I reckon you will appreciate the ability to copy dvds.

You could always save money by getting the OS from someplace else...

With your PSU. Correct me if I am wrong but SLI certification only means it has 2x PCI-E Connectors? Not that big a deal. You don't need anywhere near that power and could save some money getting a different PSU. I like Seasonic PSUs, oh so quiet.

Why do you need PCI-E connectors coming out of the PSU? Dont video cards get their power form the mobo? Or do you have to plug them into the PSU?

Can someone find a PSU that has LEDs in the Fans (I find it cool) atleast 500W, is quiet, and is ''SLI compatible'' 2xPCI-e Connectors. Please.

I agree I may get my OS someplace else lol. Anyone know when Longhorn is being released? Maybe it would be worth waiting?

Does anyone know a Good DVD/CD Burner combo? that is also good just for reading discs?

No I'm keeping that RAM, Its a really good price and I dont really plan on OCing the RAM.

No thank you I love ViewSonic :D

How much better is the Venice than the Winchester???

Btw this build should stay around 1500-2000$ Canadian. I dont wanna go over 2000$

i can answer a couple of those last questions.

>most high end video cards draw so much power, that the motherboard can't support it all, so they get it directly from the psu instead. hence plugs.

>venice OC's better than winchester, in the few tests i've seen, by quite a bit. (couple hundred mhz) and it supports sse3 and it's cooler running, due to SS SOI (strained silicon and Silicon on insilator) the downside to venice is that as far as i know, they're going to be released at higher speed grades first, (availability should begin VERY soon) meaning they'll cost more.

>as for dvd/cd burners, i recommend lite-on. they seem to be consistantly up there with the best, if not the best.

>if you stick with conventional sorces for your software, your conscience will thank you. but only you can decide what you can afford.

I say the the NEC DVD Burner is the best price/performance wise.
You don't really need an SLI Certified PSU. Do you really intend on going SLI in the future? Next Gen Video Cards will be able to outperfrom cards today by a considerable margin.

Only LED Fan PSU which is decent I could think of is the OCZ Modstream. (I think)

Would you be willing to order from some places other than NCIX? I can get you that same system for ~$1600.

NCIX's prices seem alittle high even in CAD.

Back