• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soulless router pt.2 resurrected! Still need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quingoff

Registered
I've posted a topic about my my wireless router situation the past week, only with the level of info i knew at the time, now i know much more.

Share DSL line with neighbors (with permission, to just get that out :) ) through Linksys wireless B router, the modem that they got from SBC Yahoo, I assumed was just a regular ol modem, but later I found out it was a wireless router as well (2wire 1000HW or 1000HG) http://www.2wire.com/?p=8 :mad: I didn't even think about it being a router, why?, well my neighbor who pays for the DSL specifically told me that she did not pay for the wireless option, so I didn't think twice as to whether it was wireless, why would it if she didn't pay for it, you know? (doesn't even have any characteristics of a wireless router either, no antennas, no wireless status lights etc) Anyway, they wanted to share the DSL line and I suggested the Linksys router, well they got it and I set it up for them, little did I know that the 2wire modem was also transmitting at the same time, but it didn't effect the linksys at all, now I don't think that was why I was having connection problems between the linksys router and wireless adapter cards as well as a hardlined comp with the router, but I have some questions concerning the 2wires modem settings, but another couple ?'s first.

After a month and a half of soild connectivity with the router, we were not able to connect anymore. The first time it went out I thought the cause of it maybe was a IM client called trillian I used. Now it could be the reason why it went out, but when I went to there house to fix the connection, one of three lights on the modem, LAN (other two are POWER, BROADBAND LINK) was out. I thought maybe some simple problem occured for that to happen, so I unplugged the modem and restarted it (also since the lan light was out i unplugged, plugged backin the cat 5 cables just in case something jarred loose), all the lights went back on and internet and linksys router backup. It was up for a day and then I used trillian again (an older version than when the router first went out) and later on not instantly after using trillan, but after a restart or two, it was out again, the next time i was over there the LAN light was out again, I thought it might be the cables , so before buying new ones I switched the two cables to where there were into different ports to see if that would work(ex the cable that was modem to WAN, I switched to linksys router ethernet port 1 to destop computer, and visa versa w/the other) (We have one hardlined, two wireless connections) Backup again all lights on! Also at that time I relized the 2wire modem was a wireless router, so i disabled the wireless part. If the lan light goes out again its the cables right? And I don't want to use trillian anymore, it was working fine with the router before, but, anyway I just use straight up AIM now, how can I tell if AIM causes another connection problem if the router goes out again? I just now checked the connection since I fixed it on my end, its back up on my comp (when i left there house it was up on there comps as well, but just now tried it here), but I'm hesitant to use AIM I don't want it to die, is thisjust a cable problem and when using trillan and it died was a cowinsadence, or can and AIM/trillan program screw up a LAN connection?

Whew lots of typing, the 2wire modem setting question I had was the linksys has a bulit in NAT firewall (don't really know what that is) also this 2wire deal has one, I tried to disable it, as I thought it may cause a conflict, (got the 2wire, linksys and a mcafee one also 8O ) but there was no disable option just this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/erc84/homeportal22.jpg
Don't get the DMZPlus Mode deal. Heres the advanced settings http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/erc84/homeportal5.jpg
Should I consider, disalbing the NAT on the linksys or the 2wire, and is there any advanced setttings I should change?

Last thing... a comp on a network, doesn't get a permenant subnet mask address right? like out of three comps, if all are connected, the first connected would get a 255.255.255.0, but another time if someone was already on and the the same comp connected it wouldn't be 255.255.255.0 any more, right? 8O

Firmware is the latest and greatest, wireless adater driver latest, hopefully this jumble makes some sense, lots of actors involved here and its hard to keep track, Much thanks for reading this :D

Have you tried turning off everything on the Linksys router and just using it as an access point to the modem? Plugging the modem/2-wire router into one of the regular ports on the linksys and letting the modem assign DHCP, NAT, etc....? Are you certain both are not on the same frequence as well?

Plugging the modem/2-wire router into one of the regular ports on the linksys and letting the modem assign DHCP, NAT, etc.

right now, its a cat5 cable from the 2wire modem's one ethernet port to WAN port on Linksys router and then I have a another cable from the linksys ethernet port #1 to a desktop computer, are you suggesting pluggin the cable from the modem into a regular ethernet port on the linksys? what would that do differently? isn't the linksys already just taking the DHCP, etc info from the modem and using it? Everything is set to obtain auto

Are you certain both are not on the same frequence as well?
well i'm sure now, the 2wire wireless option is disabled, not trasmitting anymore, it was on channel 6, and the linksys is on 7

Oh by the way, forgot to mention for the linksys router ihave MAC filtering ans WEP enabled

quingoff said:
right now, its a cat5 cable from the 2wire modem's one ethernet port to WAN port on Linksys router and then I have a another cable from the linksys ethernet port #1 to a desktop computer, are you suggesting pluggin the cable from the modem into a regular ethernet port on the linksys? what would that do differently? isn't the linksys already just taking the DHCP, etc info from the modem and using it? Everything is set to obtain auto

well i'm sure now, the 2wire wireless option is disabled, not trasmitting anymore, it was on channel 6, and the linksys is on 7

Oh by the way, forgot to mention for the linksys router ihave MAC filtering ans WEP enabled

yes turn off the dhcp server in the linksys but not the one where the linksys gets an IP thru DHCP. You also do not want to use the wan port on the linksys. depending on what the ip is for the web config of the 2wire you might want to change the linksys's ip (192.168.1.1) to something different so that you can access both. ex: (192.168.1.2)

It seems you are using 2 routers that are both dishing out DHCP adresses.

It seems you are using 2 routers that are both dishing out DHCP adresses.

but I disabled all routing functions on the 2wire http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/erc84/homeportal2.jpg isn't the 2wire just passing Broadband DNS server and Broadband IP info? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/erc84/homeportal44.jpg (I erased some of the info like the ATM stuff from the picture, didn't know what it was so didn't want to have it on the net)

You also do not want to use the wan port on the linksys.
Plugging the modem/2-wire into one of the regular ports on the linksys and letting the modem assign DHCP, NAT, etc.

ok so if I do this, the 2wire will assign a IP to the linksys router, but then the data from the 2wire would not be distributed through the whole network right? if the 2wire is plugged into the linksys through a regular ethernet port, #1 lets say, how will the router be able to send data to the other computers, the two wireless comps and the one hardlined. Isn't the WAN port just a pass through point so that when data is recieved from the modem it routes the packets to the comps found in the network, how can it router data from a regular ethernet port?

what is the harm in leaving it the same way it is now? I am able to connect, play counterstrike, browse the net etc. But is the problem where if all three comps want to connect it will go out again?

Last edited:
Why exactly are you using two different routers? The 2Wire Homeportal 1000HW does have a wireless 802.11b access point. That is the one that I have and use wireless on. If you want to check, just look at the Home Network page of the config, it tells you the SSID and everything. The antenna is built in, and the LAN light lights up when you have a wireless client connected.

Why exactly are you using two different routers? The 2Wire Homeportal 1000HW does have a wireless 802.11b access point.

because my neigbor didn't pay for the wireless option when she signed up, so i assumed it was a regular modem, why would they send anythign wireless if she didn't pay for it, the only reason why she did get was prob a mistake and by the time I reliezed what happened we already had the linksys, I don't study modem makers so I didn't have any idea 2wire products had those featuures

Last edited:
Let the 2wire dish out the dhcp and use the regular port and turn off the dhcp server in the linksys. Or just use the 2wire for the wireless and sell the linksys. Or do it the way you have it by turning off dhcp in the 2wire and use the wan port of the linksys.

Your DMZPlus question: Yes, select the DMZPlus option if you want to use just the Linksys NAT/firewall.

To make things simplest, I would tell SBC to get rid of the 2wire junk and give you a standard modem (like Efficient SpeedStream 5100b, which is what I have and I could tell you exactly how to set up with the Linksys). But if you can't do that, than try removing the Linksys and see if the 2wire has a strong enough signal to reach your house. If not, everything would be far simpler with just a modem (non-2wire) and the Linksys.

Last edited:
Or do it the way you have it by turning off dhcp in the 2wire and use the wan port of the linksys.

I think that might be the way to go...what area of the 2wire modem settings would you guess i could find that ....BUT.... before I would do that can you guys help me solve a dilema as explained below :)

Or just use the 2wire for the wireless and sell the linksys.
Yes that is a viable option, but, let me ask you guys something, now as of right now my neighbors don't know that they didn't need to purchase that linksys router (when I suggested them to buy it I was under the impression that the 2wire was a reg ol modem as explained earlier, and my reasons for suggesting the linksys was a good suggestion with the info I had about there situation at the time) anyway, if you were in my situation would you tell your neighbors what the scoop is or just play it out? I mean if I tell them, they might see that anyone could have done what I suggested to them, especially with the factors involved with the situation. I'm not worried about them not letting me use there DSL for free anymore, I don't need DSL, *gulp* I can go back to dial up, I can handle the withdrawls :p What would you do? Tell or play it out?

Your DMZPlus question: Yes, select the DMZPlus option if you want to use just the Linksys NAT/firewall.

I was going to do that when I had access to the setup but was unsure about something is said about that option, so I put off diabling till I got more info thanks petteyg359, but, heres what it says when the DMZplus is enabled

***All inbound traffic, except traffic specifically assigned to another computer using the Allow individual applications feature will be automatically be directed to theis computer, the DMZplus enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opend for that computer

Note: Once DMZplus mose is selected and you click done, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer, The computer must be set to the DHCP mode to recieve the new IP address from the system***

now it says when DMZ plus is enabled the selected 'computer' will be assigned a new IP address, with the setup I have going would this 'computer' be the linksys recieving this new IP? and with it enabled would the linksys nat and a personal software firewall on each computer be good for security?

If not, everything would be far simpler with just a modem (non-2wire) and the Linksys.
I agree, the only reason they got a 2wire was out of a mistake on SBC's part, which would have really good but this situation happend
It was a blessing and curse to get this 2wire modem by mistake

Maybe this was a good thing we got the linksys cause I think if you use the 2wire wireless option from SBC I beleive they charge you more $ each month for the extra compters using the one dsl line, where with the linksys all the modem sees is the linksys and nothing behind it so they can't tell if there anymore than one comp so they comp charge you for extra :cool:

quingoff said:
I think that might be the way to go...what area of the 2wire modem settings would you guess i could find that ....BUT.... before I would do that can you guys help me solve a dilema as explained below :)

I thought you already did that :shrug: I really thought you said that is how it was set up. you have several options once you decide on one we can help you get it working. My favorite of the three I suggested is to just use the linksys hooked up thru the regular lan port (not wan) and turn off the dhcp server in the linksys.

OK if they gave them a wireless router/modem then I do not believe they will charge them for actually using it. But if it is something that you are worried about call and ask.

My favorite of the three I suggested is to just use the linksys hooked up thru the regular lan port (not wan) and turn off the dhcp server in the linksys

its slowly starting to burn in, your suggestion that is, sorry I'm very limited when it comes to networking and internet workings :bang head , anyway if i let the modem be the dhcp server and plug it into a regular ethernet port on the linksys, is there a specific IP range I should specify with the 2wire http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/erc84/2wirenetwork.jpg to allow the linksys to tramit to the computers properly.
One thing I'm still unclear with is how is the linksys going to trasmitt to the computers when plugged into a regular port? And will the WEP and MAC filtering settings in linksys mess up the connection to the computers if the 2wire plugged into a regular ethernet port?

Heres a screenshot of the area in the linksys settings area where i would disable the dhcp server there http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/erc84/linksys.jpg Should I choose the 192.168.0.0- 255.255.255.0 IP range in the 2 wire settings or use the default 172.16.0.0-255.255.255.0 range on the 2wire and change the local ip address line in the linksys settings area to a 172.16.0.0 address?

by the way the screenshot link I just posted i got by connecting to the linksys router through my wireless adapter and going to the 2wire settings page, does the fact i'm able to do that signify anything about my situation that I may have left out?

ALSO I REALLY REALLY APPECIATE ALL YOUR GUYS'S HELP I AM LEARNING SO MUCH! :p

quingoff said:
I was going to do that when I had access to the setup but was unsure about something is said about that option, so I put off diabling till I got more info thanks petteyg359, but, heres what it says when the DMZplus is enabled

***All inbound traffic, except traffic specifically assigned to another computer using the Allow individual applications feature will be automatically be directed to theis computer, the DMZplus enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opend for that computer

Note: Once DMZplus mose is selected and you click done, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer, The computer must be set to the DHCP mode to recieve the new IP address from the system***

now it says when DMZ plus is enabled the selected 'computer' will be assigned a new IP address, with the setup I have going would this 'computer' be the linksys recieving this new IP? and with it enabled would the linksys nat and a personal software firewall on each computer be good for security?

I'll use my setup as an example here. I have a standard DSL modem and a Netgear router. I have set up the modem to just connect, but the router does the PPPoE login stuff. The modem gets an IP DHCP from SBC, and it gets passed straight through to the router this way. If you enable your DMZ+ option, then that will probably work the same way, and just connect all the computers through the Linksys.

Back