• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I got scammed for an X850 XT PE (PCIe) card on ebay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozziegn

ozziegn said:
I called ATi and I gave them the part # on the card. they said that # doesnt show up in their system as a valid part #.

yet even more proof that I've been screwed. :bang head

edited by sss: PLEASE READ SILVERSINKSAM'S Comments post #22 and Posts #44

okay, so I was really tickled pink about what I thought was a great deal on an X850 XT PE (PCIe) card on ebay for something like $524. the seller stated that it was a PE model and that it would come in a factoy sealed bag which of course it didnt. it came in some sort of anti-static, zip lock type of bag that can of course be opened and reopened at will.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ozziegn1/ebay3.jpg

So I then decided to look at the video card's white sticker on the back to see what it said. of course it doesnt say anything about it being a PE card. heck, it doesnt even say anything about what the model is. it just gives a serial # and a part #. so I then went to ATi's site to validate its part # here and of course it didnt show any results. I did however white out the serial # on the card for web-only reasons. if this battle turns ugly, I dont want anyone knowing the card's serial # except for myself, the crook who took my money and Paypal.

I'm thinking I just got scammed for $500 and I'm sick to my stomach. :( hopefully Paypal will make things right and make the seller refund me all of my money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but what leads you to believe it's not? Have you plugged it in and saw what the BIOS said it was? It could be just that he gave you a OEM instead of a retail which symmantically he wasn't lying then. :shrug:

Have you tried it in your system yet. It may be an X800XT softmodded but if you don't have any problems out of it you still may have gotten an ok deal. Even if so though you can still take some steps since it was advertised as something that is wasn't.

thats what I feel has happened here.

I think the seller took an X850 XT and flashed the BIOS to a PE's BIOS thus making it natively run @ 540/590.

but that still doesnt make it right to advertise the card as a PE when I have strong beliefs that its not.

and like I said earlier, what about the white sticker on the back of the card? it doesnt say anything about what type of card it is.

so what happens if/when I need any warranty work on the card? ATi will probably tell me to **** off and to send them a genuine PE with proof. unlike this card that has no proof that its what its supposed to be.

I bought an OEM 800xt for a buddy, the sticker clearly said x800, but not XT. Windows did't recognise it as xt either, but it was running at stock xt speeds and had no problem running at pe so I thought it was probably legit.

If doesn't even have the model #, I would be suspicious also. As for the xt, pe part, that is more difficult to identify.

Oh, and this one came in a resealable a/s bag as well, straight from Gameve.

yo4444 said:
I bought an OEM 800xt for a buddy, the sticker clearly said x800, but not XT.

thats the thing.

this card doesnt say anything about what type of card it is which is going to make it VERY hard to sell as a PE card some day when I decide to move on to something else.

man... :bang head

my x850xt came in a plastic ziplock, it was an oem, and so did my x800xl, but both of them came with a sticker saying what model it was, x850xtpe and x800xl

do you have the rage theater chip on it? does it have the yellow plug next to the pci-e power plug?

EDIT: just looked at the pic, is your card PCI-E or AGP? pci-e x850xts all have dual dvi and VIVO, but AGP comes with and without, if you have pci-e then you got scammed for about 70$ and recieved a plain x850xt that was flashed, i wasn't aware that warranty applied to products bought on ebay- either way without that sticker warranty is void

Last edited:
Can you give us some other pictures of this card, Intially comparing this to various x850 cards it appears that this might be an ASUS x850, I am pretty sure that it is an x850 though.

Another way to check is read post what it says on the memory chips as I believe only the XT PE has 1.6ns DDR3. Finally try putting it in your computer and tell us what ATI tool says.

my x800 XT came factory sealed form visiontek - but no where does it say x800 XT no even in windows, but it does run @ those speeds and upto 553 / 569 :D so i cant complain the box said XT and all :d

Definetly call ATI on it to get details. there is no point in "assuming" when you can just find out.

dicecca112 said:
first you have to verify that it is indeed not the right card. Once you are 100% certain contact ebay and SSS.

I called ATi and I gave them the part # on the card. they said that # doesnt show up in their system as a valid part #.

yet even more proof that I've been screwed. :bang head

speed bump said:
Can you give us some other pictures of this card, Intially comparing this to various x850 cards it appears that this might be an ASUS x850, I am pretty sure that it is an x850 though.

look at the pic above and then take a look at an X850 XT PE (PCIe) card from Newegg's site:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-121-532-03.JPG

-see where my picture has a white sticker on the right hand side? now take a look at Newegg's pic which clearly shows the Rage Theator chip in the same place.

they're definately not the same cards.

Another way to check is read post what it says on the memory chips as I believe only the XT PE has 1.6ns DDR3.

actually that doesnt mean anything because the X850 XTs also use the same 1.6ns memory chips as the PE's do.

take off the heatsink and check what kind of core it is. That should give clearance on the type of card.

Does the seller respond to your mails / ebay contacts, and what was feedback score?

Back