• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What mixture to follow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honhon

Hey all, my supplies are pretty much here for watercooling my system. but i am confused about something, and i did look at stickies, and they raised this question...... what percent should i do my mixture for coolant and water? i bought a gallon of distilled water from wallymart and a gallon of prestone antifreeze(green) on the back on the prestone bottle it says 50/50 or 70/30 (both in prestone/water) but i read on the stickies that you should only do around 10 or 15% i believe, i know prestone did these calculations with cars in mind and not water cooling computers. so can anyone answer this for me? i have the copper danger den cpu block, and the acetal top GPU cooler, and a 5.25 bay resivoir, and i have a heater core for my radiator, so if anyone needed that info. im going to test with JUST distilled water when i get everything hooked up and leak tested. thanks again all!

If you have no mixed metals, ie copper and aluminum, 10% anti freeze will be just fine. This won't really affect temps but will help keep growth at bay. If you have mixed metals, 25% anti freeze is what I would suggest to you.

honhon said:
and if i added a larger percentage of Antifreeze it wouldnt help performance correct?

Correct.

In terms of thermal capacity and conductivity you cant get any better liquid than water, minus the random things like mercury that would kill you and still dont have as much thermal capacity.

Antifreeze is more viscous so the more you add the harder it is for the pump so less flow so less performance...

Back