• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TYAN S2676 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freddymercury

hi there
i am in the process of installing my new xeon system but i have to realize that my knowledge is by far not up to date :rolleyes: apart from lots of other unpleasant surprises i have already bought a wrong psu :bang head , didnt know i would have to use a eps12v psu, however the reason i have started this thread is that i have a connection on my mainboard which i cant recognize, its called PSU PC98 Connector. Can please anybody explain what this thing is for? another question which comes into my mind is: am i supposed to do anything special for the cpu and heatsink? i only have followed the intel instructions, insert the cpu and screwed the active heatsink on. :shrug: any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Are you refering to the 8 prong power connector ? If not where is located ...Pic would help

this PSU PC98 Connector is near the pci express slot, unfortunately i have no digicam to show it, its a single row of 8 pins, i have already tried to phone tyan support but its engaged, so i have emailed them, another thing is the front panel, i dont get useful information from the manual becuase the use strange expressions like gnd1, +5v, irrx,.... and so on for the pins, not very foolproof lol
so at the moment i have three questions
1 whats a psu pc98 connector?
2 do the new irwindale xeons need thermal paste?
3 what are the right pins from the front panel?

From the pinout in the manual, it looks to read and control fan speeds in a PSU. The SMB clock and data connections should be for remote sensing for redundant PSU assemblies. Since you are not using a PSU that has this standard, it should be fine to leave it disconnected. However, given the costs of these planars, a short call to confirm this with Tyan may be in order.

All modern processors require thermal interface media. I currently use Arctic Silver 5, but other decent media are also available.

so you say i should use a thermal paste, i find it just strange that in the intel paper which was by the processor nothing is mentioned about using thermal paste?

The IWTs have thermal pads, which are normally fine, but are less than optimal for heat transfer. For best results, remove the pads and use a better compound, following manufacturer's instructions for installation.

On the front panel, the pins you need to be concerned with are pins 1-8. The pins beginning with and grouped with IR** will be for an infrared sensor. You shouldn't need to worry about these.

xp sp2 scsi install problem

got an email from tyan, this psu pc98 connector is for oem customers, so it doesnt seem to be important. have a new problem, want to install xp sp2 on a scsi harddisk, have a driver disk and xp can use it at first but after a few steps it wants a "adaptec ultra 320 family manager set - microsoft disk", i dont have a clue what it is, help please

would be a good idea to look at the mainboard, there you can see that it is adaptec aic-7902w, so i downloaded the right driver and now its ok

Back