• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfi

Disabled
which ocz power supply do you guys recomend for massive overclock?
and i'd need one with a 24pin connector i heard those 20 to 24 are not as good as it would come wirh 24 pin right or doesnt matter?

thxxxx

Adding a convertor shouldn't matter much for stability or anything.

OCZ is a pretty good brand...sometimes expensive though, but usually worth getting.

the ocz modstreams and (maybe) powerstreams come with a 24 pin plug, but 4 pins are removable, so it fits 20 pin too. I prefer the modstreams, modular cables are so nice to work with. The powerstreams are more bang for the buck, because you aren't paying for modular. It really depends what system you are running, but a 520 watt modstream or powerstream should be enough for anything you are planning, if not go for the 600 watt powerstream. a 450 watt modstream, or 420 powerstream, is enough for most computers, but massive overclocking means better PSU, especially if you run SLi.

why OCZ? I know they have good(if not great) products but I would rather get an Antec 550 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU. They have the 24 pin plug and they're pretty damn quiet. It should have enough power for OCing too

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
why OCZ? I know they have good(if not great) products but I would rather get an Antec 550 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU. They have the 24 pin plug and they're pretty damn quiet. It should have enough power for OCing too

-1cem4n

Because Antecs quality is far from OCZ's...the only things out better then OCZ is TTGI and PC&C

The Powerstream is teh best that OCZ has to offer...the added benifit is the outside adjustable pots for the 12, 5 and 3.3 rails...

glock19owner said:
Because Antecs quality is far from OCZ's...the only things out better then OCZ is TTGI and PC&C

The Powerstream is teh best that OCZ has to offer...the added benifit is the outside adjustable pots for the 12, 5 and 3.3 rails...

Far from OCZ? I don't think so, Antec is right up there with them.

What kind of cooling are you talking about here? if you're doing air cooling, an powerstream 520 will be more than enough but if you're runnign a water cooling setup with more than one pump i'd start looking at the PCP&C 530W SLI thing.

glock19owner said:

kinda generous towards the TTGIs also..... I have 2 550w superflowers and I'm less than impressed with their stability with big overclocks...... the 12v rails dip like crazy under stress.....

Don't forget about the Fortrons/sparkle.... awesome psu.

Blkout said:

Antecs voltage regulation is to good, so you can't overvolt em very easily, also if hes looking for massive overclocks he needs a PSU with adjustable pots.

By the way the Powerstreams do come with a 24pin conector that adapts to 20 pin and can be seen prominently in the rigs that occupy the first page of the Futuremark Orb.

However if you really wan't the ultimate in power I would check out a Zippy/Emac 700watt monster. A decent load for one of these suckers is seriously about 4gigs of ram 10HDs, 4 Opterons, and 2x6800Uee.

speed bump said:
Antecs voltage regulation is to good, so you can't overvolt em very easily, also if hes looking for massive overclocks he needs a PSU with adjustable pots.

By the way the Powerstreams do come with a 24pin conector that adapts to 20 pin and can be seen prominently in the rigs that occupy the first page of the Futuremark Orb.

However if you really wan't the ultimate in power I would check out a Zippy/Emac 700watt monster. A decent load for one of these suckers is seriously about 4gigs of ram 10HDs, 4 Opterons, and 2x6800Uee.

Well, I was speaking of build quality, Antec is still top notch regardless of how good their competitors are nowadays.

The 520W Topower (aka Powerstream) will do fine. Also the 550W EPS version of antec is a real contender.

All in all these units cant compare to what PCP&C/Zippy/Spark-Fortron has to offer :p

Blkout said:

How is antec right up their with them...Antec doesnt use the same quality parts as OCZ/PC&C and the STN ratio is far worse then that of OCZ or PC&C...you want pure power...go with OCZ - PC&C - TTGI (not talking the POS superflowers nor the OCZ modstreams) and yes I did leave out Zippy's...

Now if antec was the gift from god PSU...then why do most top OCers use OCZ/PC&C/Zippy's or TTGI's? Because Antec is far worse then you think anymore...

glock19owner said:
How is antec right up their with them...Antec doesnt use the same quality parts as OCZ/PC&C and the STN ratio is far worse then that of OCZ or PC&C...you want pure power...go with OCZ - PC&C - TTGI (not talking the POS superflowers nor the OCZ modstreams) and yes I did leave out Zippy's...

Now if antec was the gift from god PSU...then why do most top OCers use OCZ/PC&C/Zippy's or TTGI's? Because Antec is far worse then you think anymore...

Countless people are using Antec, it just seems to be a fad on most message boards to use something new every so often. It comes and goes yet Antec has always been here, go figure. If you had a bad experience with an Antec PS or if your girlfriend left you for one of Antec's employees, that's fine, but don't bad mouth a company that has been producing solid products for years now. It just makes you look silly.

And countless people have to ditch Antec because of issues with Antec and certain MB's...sorry...90% of the MSI owners can not use antecs becuase after a week or so...the antecs will litterly ruin the MB and CPU...yeap...great PSU's :rolleyes:

Let me rephrase that question...how many people that care about their system with good and stable OC's use Antec...

As for badmouthing them...far from it...just stating facts...and the facts are...they are worse in STN ratio and do not use the same quality parts as the above mentioned PSU's I stated...

I know this from first rate experince...by testing PSU's out...I was a QC tester for a certain company at one time...so I have tested almost every PSU out...and you know this by?

i had and Antec Truepower that i ditched for the a Powerstream, Antecs are good psu's but they are not what you consider top of the line nor performance psu's

bobmanfoo said:
i had and Antec Truepower that i ditched for the a Powerstream, Antecs are good psu's but they are not what you consider top of the line nor performance psu's
Same here, my 12v rail has been dropping all the way to down to 11.44v...I have an Antec TruePower 430w as of now, just ordered a powerstream 520 :)

AFAIK, a few years ago Antec used to be very high quality, and it seemed like more people used them. I don't know what happened, but it seems like all antec power supplies aren't as nice as they used to be :rolleyes:

I would like to mention he said massive overclocks. Massive overclocks require adjustable rails. Which OCZ has Antec does not.

then we compare the Antec true 550s rails vs the OCZ powerstream 520a rails. Note that for heavy duty graphics cards and 90nm A64s 28amps on the 12v rail is reccomended.

Antec true 550
+3.3V@32A; +5V@40A; [email protected]; +12V@24A; -12V@1A; +5VSB@2A

OCZ Powerstream 520
+3.3V@28A, +5V@40A, +12V@33A, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Also the OCZ is sleeved and it makes it much nicer looking and easier to route cables with.

I forgot to mention that OCZ has a killer 5year warrenty and the dudes are awesome to work with.

Actually I just wanted to try out the nifty new quick edit button

Last edited:
speed bump said:
I would like to mention he said massive overclocks. Massive overclocks require adjustable rails. Which OCZ has Antec does not.

then we compare the Antec true 550s rails vs the OCZ powerstream 520a rails. Note that for heavy duty graphics cards and 90nm A64s 28amps on the 12v rail is reccomended.

Antec true 550
+3.3V@32A; +5V@40A; [email protected]; +12V@24A; -12V@1A; +5VSB@2A

OCZ Powerstream 520
+3.3V@28A, +5V@40A, +12V@33A, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Also the OCZ is sleeved and it makes it much nicer looking and easier to route cables with.

Again, I thought we were talking about reliability.

Back