• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking folder security issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

i have a server with a domain.

one of my workstations on my domain is going to also be a 'small server' holding less important stuff to free up space on my main server.

The workstation is pretty powerful and has windows XP Professional and has a RAID set up. I am having problems allowing people to see the folder i want to share.

the workstation logs on to the domain using a username and password. I then made a folder on the raid drive and right clicked and selected share.

When people on my network try and access the folder they get the message access denied. even if i add the person's username (username which they use for the comain) into my usernames on the workstation and then give them access in the folder permissions they still cant access.

the only way they can access the folder is if i put the username 'everyone' and allow access.

Which usernames do i need to add to my windows account to allow them access one by one?

Create a local group on your workstation called "Share" or whatever. Give that group the relevant NTFS permissions to the folder you want to share. Then create a share on that folder and give the local group Full Control share permissions.

Next step is to create a global group on your Domain Controller (Server) called "Share" or whatever. Once it is created add all of the domain user accounts into it that you want to have access to the share.

Final step is on your workstation add the Global group you created on your DC into the local group which you created earlier.

Go into computer management, (Start, run..., compmgt.msc)

Goto "Local Users & Groups", "Groups", Then open the local group you created called "share" or whatever.

Click "Add". Then make sure your "location" is set to the Domain and not the local machine.

Click "Advanced", then "Find Now". Then select the Global group that you created earlier on your DC.

Once this is done click OK etc until you have come back out of computer management. Now your users should be able to access the share.

in windows XP, by default 'file sharing' itself is off. So even though you may be able to create a share its not enabled. to make sure of this Open my computer and right click on the C drive, or whatever drive you wish and goto the sharing option. Make sure, if it doesnt say its enabled, choose to enable file sharing and choose "yes I understand the risks" and then choose "just enable file sharing and do not run the wizard"

I apologize if this has been said or done, kind of asleep atm but this is a common gotcha ive run into with XP.

to what russ said, You can skip the middle step of a local account and add the domain group straight into the security tab of the share permissions by, when adding users change the search location from 'local' to your domain. Also make sure that the folder has proper permissions for the drive itself (folder permissions as opposed to share permissions) Just put the everyone group to full control (assuming no one will be sitting at this machine) and then modify shared permissions as you need. This will make for easier management.
(the above sounds close to what you are describing the problem to be)

Also, is the account this computer logs in with a member of the local admin group to the machine? That could also cause problems when trying to create shares.

Under the locations bit i can only select my local machine, the domain groups do not appear?!?!?!

russ_da_bus said:
Go into computer management, (Start, run..., compmgt.msc)

Goto "Local Users & Groups", "Groups", Then open the local group you created called "share" or whatever.

Click "Add". Then make sure your "location" is set to the Domain and not the local machine.

Click "Advanced", then "Find Now". Then select the Global group that you created earlier on your DC.

Once this is done click OK etc until you have come back out of computer management. Now your users should be able to access the share.

You must be connected to the network at the time to be able see the domain in the "locations" box. Unless your pc isnt actually part of a domain?

Back