• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox Voltage Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eil Atan

I have the Epox 8k7a+ and I am having horribly high temps and then I realized it's because my VCore is at 1.84 and this is way high for my crap 300w PSU.. however, I can't figure out how to turn the vcore settings down on the Epox board... It is on default right now and it is going to 1.84 and I am pretty sure that is why I am crashing and why my temps are so bad...

any way to fix this?

nice one fuzzy! right back at you...

the voltage for an athlon should be 1.79, right? that's what I thought the default was, but I could be wrong... I'll open it up and check the bridges now, but it's a brand new chip I don't think that could be it... don't they come with the L bridges connected anyway?

the defualt voltage is 1.75 and yes some of the bridges are already connected(don't go unconnecting anything), there just ways of connecting and unconnecting certain ones to change the voltage for motherboards that don't support volt options. I was just thinking maybe a metal shaving or maybe even dust could of connected the wrong ones. Of course, there is probably a totaly different problem. Actually I ordered the same board last week, and should get it tomorrow. I'll let you know what my volts are. Right now my az11 says it's at 3.1, but I read the board actually has no volt monitoring support at all.

CrackedSKull said:
the defualt voltage is 1.75 and yes some of the bridges are already connected(don't go unconnecting anything), there just ways of connecting and unconnecting certain ones to change the voltage for motherboards that don't support volt options. I was just thinking maybe a metal shaving or maybe even dust could of connected the wrong ones.

thanks for the idea, i opened up the system and snooped around on the chip but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary or anything that looked like it was being connected, but thanks for the idea...

yeah 1.75 would be a nice voltage to have right now... :(

Yah, the Vcore runs high on my epox too. 1.80v default. You should get an antec powersupply, im planning on it soon.

heres my voltages and my temps... they are wayyyy off... will a new power supply help this?

MOR in the hizouse, as requested!!:D

Well, as far as I can see- this has nothing to do with your PSU, and everything to do with your motherboard. Some mobos have a lying Winbond monitoring chip, and some mobos have poorly regulated power circuits- although that is one hell of an error- 1.75 to 1.84? Geez! I would try to crank down the voltage if at all possible, and--

Wait a minute! Check the L1 +L2 bridges on the CPU, you can use those to choose voltage as well as unlock multipliers, you might have made an error with the pencil, some errant metal flakes, hand of God, etc.:) And now that I've typed this I see youve already checked that...:(
Well maybe swab the top o the chip with alcohol and try it again just to be sure.

OK now all I can say is RMA that mobo for a new one. Preferably a different model, just to be safe. I have one other idea but it's a pain in the *** and it won't actually solve the problem- A CPU's heat output is directly propotional to the Vcore you give it; you could try ALL availible Vcore settings and see if the temps are a steady ramp or not. If not, you know the monitoring chip you have is flaky, if it is, you know that it isn't.

That's all I got. GL buddy!

fuzzba11, how long did you have your system before it started working? what was that about not knowing how to boot up and FDISK a drive? who did that for you?

Why do you have a 1.4 Ghz chip in there???????????

oh yeah, that would be because of me... :D :D

Yeah? And who pointed out to you that you should change from 220 Volts down to US 110 Volts when you thought your processor was fried and you went and bought another one AND that piece Epox board, huh? And then who realized that they were a bunnycarrot? :D

BOOYAH!

fuzzba11 you win...

there is no defence against an insult like "bunnycarrot"...

:D

If you want to set the default voltage on the epox you will have to mod the chip! read the article on anandtech.com about the 133a issue. I will look for it and it tells you how to change the L6 and L7s so you can change default voltage and default multipliers.

el said:
If you want to set the default voltage on the epox you will have to mod the chip! read the article on anandtech.com about the 133a issue. I will look for it and it tells you how to change the L6 and L7s so you can change default voltage and default multipliers.

Hey I checked my chip and the L7 Bridge seems to be alright... it is set with the first two and the last two connected (the middle bit is cut)... I checked on the web and this is what it should be for the default voltage of 1.75 volts... so I don't think I should cut anything, I'm guessing the problem must be with the mobo... I cleaned the L7 bridges to make sure nothing was connecting them... thanks for the link though, it was a good try...

well if you are trying to lower voltage of the chip i assume it is to reduce heat. Try this sinc ou have great ram and are running it at default speed, 10.5x134, which is only 1 mhz over rated speed, you can get same speed at 10x140. That might get you a 1-2 degree drop just cuase the cpu is being used less. Or try for 9.5x150 or so and youll get more performance with less cpu work.

In essence if you run the cpu under its default multipier you can actually go under default votag also. I am at 10x multiplier (default) and have lowered the voltage to 1.70 to lower heat, try to do the same

this board seems to put your cpu at high voltages automaticly, when i pencil in my duron's L7 bridges i get 1.90v. 50c is acturally a good temp for a 1.4ghz athlon, if thats at load. are you sure that it is at +.0v?

Changing your power supply MAY help solve your problems. here's my thinking: your PSU isn't able to put out anough amps for your athlon, the mobo compensates by riasing the voltage. This may just be way out there thinking put there's a small chance it could be the reason. :confused:

thanks for posting quickly, this is a big problem for me! good call though on the amps idea... that's what I'm thinking, because this isn't a very good power supply... it's only a generic 300w... 50c isn't at load, those temps in my sig are old... it is 53c idle... :eek:

if it were my power supply screwing up my voltage, would that cause the system to crash? the attachment a couple posts up shows my voltages, and they are wayyy off, so would that be causing the crashes?

Last edited:
alright, switched the Asus A7M266 back in, and I didn't crash in 3DMarks2k1... so I guess that is a sign on something... also, my temps at load are down to 51c, in a freaking hot room (ambient temp around 30 or 32c) and no thermal stuff on the chip... so i guess that's a good sign... any suggestions on the epox problem let me know, i think it must be a PSU problem...

Back