Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Hahaha. Kid steals teacher's laptop for exam.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 04-22-05, 04:06 PM Thread Starter   #1
tom10167

10 Year Badge

Hahaha. Kid steals teacher's laptop for exam.

Kid steals laptop with final on it.

Teacher tells everyone the laptop is being tracked and the kid is going to get caught.

Everyone with an IQ realizes it's impossible and the teacher gets owned, meanwhile the kid still has the test. hahahahhaha

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses/...50415&rep=real

"Professor Jasper Rine lectures at UC Berkeley. Recently his laptop was stolen by a thief who apparently was after exam data. Unfortunately for the thief, Professor Rine had some other important data on that laptop. Professor Rine webcasts all of his lectures. He addressed the laptop thief during his webcast of last Friday's Biology 1A lecture, which you can see in its entirety here: http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses...050415&rep=real
It gets interesting at timecode 48:50. A transcript of Professor Rine's comments follow:"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pwned
Thanks Gary. I have a message for one person in this audience - I'm sorry the rest of you have to sit through this. As you know, my computer was stolen in my last lecture. The thief apparently wanted to betray everybody's trust, and was after the exam.

The thief was smart not to plug the computer into the campus network, but the thief was not smart enough to do three things: he was not smart enough to immediately remove Windows. I installed the same version of Windows on another computer - within fifteen minutes the people in Redmond Washington were very interested to know why it was that the same version of Windows was being signalled to them from two different computers.

The thief also did not inactivate either the wireless card or the transponder that's in that computer. Within about an hour, there was a signal from various places on campus that's allowed us to track exactly where that computer went every time that it was turned on.

I'm not particularly concerned about the computer. But the thief, who thought he was only stealing an exam, is presently - we think - is probably still in possession of three kinds of data, any one of which can send this man, this young boy, actually, to federal prison. Not a good place for a young boy to be.

You are in possession of data from a hundred million dollar trial, sponsored by the NIH, for which I'm a consultant. This involves some of the largest companies on the planet, the NIH investigates these things through the FBI, they have been notified about this problem.

You are in possession of trade secrets from a Fortune 1000 biotech company, the largest one in the country, which I consult for. The Federal Trade Communication is very interested in this. Federal Marshals are the people who handle that.

You are in possession of proprietary data from a pre-public company planning an IPO. The Securities and Exchange Commission is very interested in this and I don't even know what branch of law enforcement they use.

Your academic career is about to come to an end. You are facing very serious charges, with a probability of very serious time. At this point, there's very little that anybody can do for you. One thing that you can do for yourself is to somehow prove that the integrity of the data which you possess has not been corrupted or copied.

Ironically, I am the only person on the planet that can come to your aid, because I am the only person that can tell whether the data that was on that computer are still on that computer. You will have to find a way of hoping that if you've copied anything that you can prove you only have one copy of whatever was made.

I am tied up all this afternoon; I am out of town all of next week. You have until 11:55 to return the computer, and whatever copies you've made, to my office, because I'm the only hope you've got of staying out of deeper trouble than you or any student I've ever known has ever been in.

I apologise to the rest of you for having to bring up this distasteful matter, but I will point out that we have a partial image of this person, we have two eyewitnesses, with the transponder data we're going to get this person."
Professor Pwned, oh that's a good one.
tom10167 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 04:18 PM   #2
jack222

Proffesor "pwned" got more then pwend. He got:

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked @ 860/2025
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
CM Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS VH238H 23"
Crucial M4 128GB SSD + 2TB storage
CORSAIR 750TX
jack222 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 04:48 PM   #3
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

Quote:
he was not smart enough to immediately remove Windows. I installed the same version of Windows on another computer - within fifteen minutes the people in Redmond Washington were very interested to know why it was that the same version of Windows was being signalled to them from two different computers.
Admitting to stealing Windows should be enough to get this loser fired. He should be working at Mcdonalds flipping burgers.

Old 04-22-05, 04:52 PM   #4
dark_15
Drunken Master JNCIE Senior

One question...

Why would he keep stuff like that on a laptop?

If I were him, I'd leave the sensitive stuff on a computer that was not connected to the internet in any way... with a removable HDD rack. I'd pull out the HDD when it's not in use and put it in a big safe. O yeah, and I'd also encrypt.

Secondly, why was he using windows?

EDIT: Looks like they've been having problems with stolen laptops:
http://idalert.berkeley.edu/

JNCIE-SEC #69, JNCIP-ENT, JNCSP-SEC, JNCIS-SA, JNCIS-AC, JNCIA-IDP, JNCIA-WX, ACMP, RCSP-WAN

HEAT Register Personal Blog

Last edited by dark_15; 04-24-05 at 12:40 PM.
dark_15 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 04:58 PM   #5
jack222

My science teacher keeps everything on his laptop, external HDD, school pc, pen drive and home pc. So this wouldnt effect him if answers got stolen.

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked @ 860/2025
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
CM Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS VH238H 23"
Crucial M4 128GB SSD + 2TB storage
CORSAIR 750TX
jack222 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 05:10 PM Thread Starter   #6
tom10167

10 Year Badge

Oh wait I forgot the follow up article guys, sorry.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Fin...=692448&page=1
tom10167 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 05:12 PM   #7
Aslan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_15
One question...

Why would he keep stuff like that on a laptop?

If I were him, I'd leave the sensitive stuff on a computer that was not connected to the internet in any way... with a removable HDD rack. I'd pull out the HDD when it's not in use and put it in a big safe. O yeah, and I'd also encrypt.
Agreed, the prof is either bluffing about having all that sensitive material on only that one notebook, or a complete idiot. He's definitely going to get into some trouble with the companies he consults for.

The kid is most likely going to get away with it, but to steal a notebook like that for a copy of the test is very stupid as well; the prof is obviously going to make another test.

. . . . . . .. . . ... . .
Aslan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 05:21 PM   #8
Frodo Baggins

Jeez. What is his PhD in?

I can't believe he made that speech. I would have trouble keeping a straight face in class. It sounds like something I'd invent as a 12 year old.
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-05, 05:49 PM   #9
warlock110

he obviously is bluffing, woot woot, yeah right, tracking down someone isn't that easy, especially if they are on a laptop, there are ways to do it but i'm sure that it's out of his power to try and track down that lappy on campus, if the kids take that thing out of the campus, then it's pretty much over, i'm sure the kid wasn't after the data, he's just after the laptop lol. At any rate there are 2 things that can happen:

1) the kid got scare and throw the laptop into the ocean (yeah professor, nice job scaring the kid)
2) the kid took all the professor advice, and he format the lappy. (yeah professor, nice job on telling him how to pawn you).

2 X 250GB Maxtor
1 X 160GB Seagate
1 X Samsung 18X DVDRW w/Lightscribe
Creative Audigy 4 Pro
7600GS @ 550/420
TT Big Typhoon
warlock110 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 12:54 AM   #10
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Quote:
I installed the same version of Windows on another computer - within fifteen minutes the people in Redmond Washington were very interested to know why it was that the same version of Windows was being signalled to them from two different computers.
And out intrepid professor was not smart enough to realize that if his empty threat actually had teeth, the 15 minutes would have begun right after he did the install. Not 15 minutes after the lappy was stolen. Umm what lappy is this that knows when it is stolen and fires off a windows product ID at precisely that moment?

Quote:
The thief also did not inactivate either the wireless card or the transponder that's in that computer. Within about an hour, there was a signal from various places on campus that's allowed us to track exactly where that computer went every time that it was turned on.
OK so let's ignore the so called transponder for just a sec. What this tells us is that the thief also turned the computer on from several locations around campus in the hour after it was stolen. Do anyone else make it a habit of turning on a computer for a minute or two at a time before moving to a new location?

Now let's get back to the transponder. Does it come on a PC card or is it factory installed? I have to ask because I have always wanted to have aircraft navigation equipment built into my lappy. If the professor has it then it stands to reason that someone sells a lappy that has it.

Quote:
I'm not particularly concerned about the computer.
And I am not particularly concerned about the exact nature of the data.

Quote:
Your academic career is about to come to an end. You are facing very serious charges, with a probability of very serious time. At this point, there's very little that anybody can do for you. One thing that you can do for yourself is to somehow prove that the integrity of the data which you possess has not been corrupted or copied.
However, the thief is not the only person who is about to see the end of his academic career. Even assuming the university does nothing to this guy, I would bet that nobody else is going top trust him with “hundred million dollar” data ever again.

Quote:
Ironically, I am the only person on the planet that can come to your aid, because I am the only person that can tell whether the data that was on that computer are still on that computer. You will have to find a way of hoping that if you've copied anything that you can prove you only have one copy of whatever was made.
This bit is just too good. Let's say just for grins that the thief really is as dumb as the professor obviously thinks. OK now tell me how the hell he could prove that he only has one copy of anything on his computer? By anything, allow me to say that I have P2P software in mind. If he can't account for his collection of Britney Spears videos, how the heck is he going to account for anything else?
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 01:03 AM   #11
c627627

c(π*199780) Senior Member

10 Year Badge

...plus: Since when does it take 15 minutes for Microsoft to respond to anything? (That's the true giveaway right there.)
c627627 is online now Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 01:23 AM   #12
Seven

Hah.

That gives me the sort of anti-climatic Looney Toons wind-up right there.

"Why I oughta!....why I oughta!!11111..."

Come on. Obviously, if it was supersensitive information, then he wouldn't be keeping it on a public laptop. They keep "trade secrets" on SUPER protected servers and safes and stuff like that for this exact reason.

Old 04-23-05, 12:53 PM   #13
Yodums

Eh, why steal the exam? Wouldn't the prof just make a new one? Well maybe in this case it's kind of different because he's kind of.. special in his own ways.

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Yodums is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 01:10 PM   #14
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

10 Year Badge

LOL! As much as I hate Trolls and thieves, this Professor is a dumbass

I hope he recovers his notebook, but I also hope he learns that his students are not idiots.

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 01:24 PM   #15
Wicked Klown
Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins
Jeez. What is his PhD in?

I'm guessing he has a PhD in BS. After all everyone knows it takes a whole 30 seconds to change then XP CD code.

Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus
Wicked Klown is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 01:33 PM   #16
@md0Cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Admitting to stealing Windows should be enough to get this loser fired. He should be working at Mcdonalds flipping burgers.

He didn't quite steal it from what I read.

Actually using Windows that way was quite smart. They can tell if it is on multiple computers or not, so he bassically used Microsoft's way to track who is using multiple computers on the same copy of the OS, to track the guy who stole his laptop.

If I had Windows on a computer that got stolen and still had the CD, I would probably try installing it on another computer and do the same thing Professor Pwned did to track that other computer.

Abit KD7 Via KT400 5:2:1 divider PCI: 37Mhz AGP:92.5Mhz
3X256+512=1278MB RAM assortment 185Mhz 2.95Vdimm
ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256mb Core:435Mhz Ram: 475Mhz
Forton 400 watt PSU
Black Cheiftec Dragon full side window

Folding User Stats
@md0Cer is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 01:35 PM   #17
@md0Cer

Either way, unless they ripped the laptop out of his cold dead fingers, it is his own fault. I would not let my laptop go unattended.

Forton 400 watt PSU

Folding User Stats
Old 04-23-05, 01:42 PM   #18
@md0Cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack222
Proffesor "pwned" got more then pwend. He got:
Here is another "owned" pic for the professor:

Just imagion it saying "professor pwned" instead of "srt-4 driver."

Forton 400 watt PSU

Folding User Stats
Old 04-23-05, 01:58 PM   #19
Wicked Klown

10 Year Badge

OH @mdOCer you linky is broke it says Ichost.

Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus
Old 04-23-05, 02:06 PM   #20
Wicked Klown

10 Year Badge

HEAT

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.