• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from Win98 to WinXP Pro question??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
I want to upgrade a Win98 machine to WinXP Pro, when I pop the XP CD in it, it doesn't seems like to allow me to just "upgrade" the OS...? it seems like it will wipe the whole HD and do a brand new clean install??

so, my question is when I'm upgrading from Win98 to WinXP Pro, do I have to lose all the application/data, wipe out everything, or it will just upgrade the OS w/out doing anything to other softwares that's in the HD??

TIA.

I could be wrong but...

I believe the file system is totally different in XP Pro. You might have to reinstall other programs. You should download new drivers for your system and XP and burn em on a disk for easy ( :rolleyes: ) change over. You should also remove all extra components (printer, modem etc...)except what is needed to start up your system, do the install, add one piece at a time after you get the initial bugs worked out. You probably know all this stuff. IMO it would be better to do a fresh install than a re install over Win98. Format your Hard Drive install XP. If you have the upgrade for XP try to install without installing Win 98. XP will ask you for the Win98 disk during install and give you a fresh install. I hope this helps. It's still going to be a pain in the A** but I believe less so with a fresh install.
Good Luck,
Killa

Its best to do a clean install. That way all the 98 leftovers (drivers, .dll's, etc.) will be wiped out. I've never had any luck getting a completely stable upgrade to work.

What are the general specs of your current machine?
Even if you sucessfully install XP, will it run well?

At my shop we consider a processor running over 1GB with 512MB of RAM to be the minimum spec to make an "upgrade" worthwhile.

clocker2 said:
What are the general specs of your current machine?
Even if you sucessfully install XP, will it run well?

At my shop we consider a processor running over 1GB with 512MB of RAM to be the minimum spec to make an "upgrade" worthwhile.
oh, machine have no problem to run XP. 2.4c @ 3ghz @ stock voltage. just that there's some important software that I don't want to reinstall and setup again.

always best to do a fresh install from 9x to XP in an upgrade. whatever potention problems or problems you had before, will still be there, and won't be cured by an upgrade. However, they would be cured by a fresh install.

Kill_A._Byte said:
I believe the file system is totally different in XP Pro. You might have to reinstall other programs. You should download new drivers for your system and XP and burn em on a disk for easy ( :rolleyes: ) change over. You should also remove all extra components (printer, modem etc...)except what is needed to start up your system, do the install, add one piece at a time after you get the initial bugs worked out. You probably know all this stuff. IMO it would be better to do a fresh install than a re install over Win98. Format your Hard Drive install XP. If you have the upgrade for XP try to install without installing Win 98. XP will ask you for the Win98 disk during install and give you a fresh install. I hope this helps. It's still going to be a pain in the A** but I believe less so with a fresh install.
Good Luck,
Killa

Just to clear up the filesystems. XP can work with both FAT32, which I believe 98 uses, and NFTS which is the new file system. As others have said before, a clean install is really the best option. My dad tried the upgrade on his comp, but ended up just buying a home copy to install. Plus, fresh installs make me feel giddy. :D

Timdog said:
Just to clear up the filesystems. XP can work with both FAT32, which I believe 98 uses, and NFTS which is the new file system.
So what your install is trying to do is convert your 32bit file system to NTFS. Is NTFS better? Or is it only really needed if you plan to run a network. :shrug: If you change over to NTFS you will lose all programs.
Plus, fresh installs make me feel giddy. :D
I hear ya. I love to Zero fill my 200gig HD. (Damn I think I'm Gettin OLD :rolleyes: ) It takes about 2 days and then I do a fresh install.

Kill_A._Byte said:
So what your install is trying to do is convert your 32bit file system to NTFS. Is NTFS better? Or is it only really needed if you plan to run a network. :shrug: If you change over to NTFS you will lose all programs.

I hear ya. I love to Zero fill my 200gig HD. (Damn I think I'm Gettin OLD :rolleyes: ) It takes about 2 days and then I do a fresh install.
If you install XP on a Fat32 volume, you can convert it to NTFS without losing everything. NTFS really is better:
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

It is faster, less likely to lose data, supports permissions and you rarely have to run a chkdsk after a non-clean shutdown. I don't know why you think it has something to do with a network. The NT in NTFS if from Windows NT, where it stands for New Technology.

Back