• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Hard Drive Space?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ahhhh, even better, and at the same time, worrying, for after doing the df command again, my 6gb is now 2gb >.<;;;; I must go back into windows, and convert some of my hdds to FAT32

Linux can make FAT32 partions.
1. Emerge Qparted
2. partition with Qparted
3. emerge dosfstools
4. mkdosfs -F32 /dev/whatever
5. mount however you see fit
:)

I was just going to copy the files from one harddrive across the network to my fathers computer, then format and copy them back. Only problem is, on some of the large files (its my backup drive, so I make copys of my games and all on there. Some of them are dvd isos, so they are like 3gb) it would only copy a small amount, then stop. Like my ut2004 dvd iso, would only copy 1gb and then stop.

Ok, so im trying to fdisk my 80 gbs on my /dev/hde. However, when I delete the NTFS partition, and tell it to make a new primary partition, it only makes it 15GB. What can I do to make sure i get all of my space?

It's probably because your unpartitioned space is not contiguous. Use qtparted (it's on the knoppix cd). Then you can see where the partitions are. You can do it with fdisk, but it's just easier in qtparted.

As for why it's not copying files completely, I'm not sure. For one thing, FAT32 has a file size limit. It won't be able to hold files of a full DVD iso. I think the limit is like 4 gb per file, I'm not sure though. I have some 8gb dvd iso's that I couldn't put on a FAT32 partition. (These are, however, dual layer.)

I don't know why it would stop at 1 gb though. I think the fat16 file size limit is even lower (known as partition type msdos in linuxspeak). Are you sure you formatted as fat32 and not fat16?

Are you using nfs to move stuff?

NTFS can support enormous file sizes, so that's not it then.

I really don't have any idea what can cause that. I have some memory of it happening to me once, and not figuring it out.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. You might want to post on the gentoo forums.

Back