• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading my nf7-2 v1.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxa

Registered
upgrading my nf7-S v2.

I am upgrading my nf7-S v2.
old: atlon 1400
256 mg 2100 memory

new: xp mobile 2500

question what kind of headsink should i buy. my motherboard only can acept clipping headsink. also taking in mind I would like to try to overclocked it. In addition, what kind of memory I would need to buy between 512 meg to 1 gig.

thank you

Last edited:
What motherboard exactly do you have? I'm assuming it's the NF7-S2? Also, what is your pricerange for you memory and heatsink?

Fireball_dbz said:
well i hope you got a good deal for that setup because you could have switched to a 64 cpu ands its around the same price....

#1 the a64 cpu is going to be more expensive.
#2 this would require a new motherboard which would obviously add the the expense greatly.
#3 if he can afford good quality RAM, he can carry it with him to an a64 setup in the future if he so choses.

I think you'll be very happy with your upgrade. The mobile 2500+'s overclock like champs and you'll see a very significant improvement over your current setup. One question though, what kind of psu do you have? You may have to upgrade that as well.

Upgrading Abit Nf7-s Version 2

my nf7-S v2. was bought over one and half years. I would like a quiet headsink because I live in an appartment building. Memory, perhas you can provide some 512 mg or and 1 gig models suggestion. Since memory prices are comming down, I think I can buy some good memory.

Thank you.

Last edited:
please, to everybody who try to help, I need you to know that my ABIT NF7-S IS VERSION 2. THANKS TO HITMAN I MADE A MOST SIMPLY SEARCH AND FIND OUT THAT I WAS UNDER THE WRONG INPRETION THAT MY ABIT NF7-S WAS VERSION 1.

SO STILL, I NEED A QUIET HEADSINK WITH CLIPS FOR MY NEW XP MOBILE 2500 PLUS SOME SUGGESTION ON 512 MG OR/AND 1 GIG MEM

THANK YOU AGAIN :santa: :shrug:

The best heatsink I can suggest is a Thermalright SI-97, paired with a 92mm Panaflo, either the M1A @ 48cfm/30dba or the H1A @ 56.8cfm/35dba. A Delta Triple Blade Low Speed @ 57.6cfm/36dba would be better performance-wise, but costs more, and is out of stock at the only source.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92trbllows.html.

Also, the SI-97 has clips, but keep in mind that the NF7-S v2.0 does have mounting holes, so you can use a bolt-on heatsink provided you can find one.

fldrice said:
If you can still find a Thermalright slk947u or sp97 I still highly recommend them.

I wish. I found a store in Canada that was selling SP-97's for $25.00 CDN, but they sold out before I could order. :-/
Also, with the SP-97 you need to order a different backplate, as the one that comes with the heatsink doesn't fit properly.

The Zalman has clips with it, and has never let me down in the almost two years I have run it. As far as memory goes I have always just run the corsair value ram on mine. With the good value ram out there now, anything over 120$ for a gig is overkill IMO.

aka-DoC- said:
The Zalman has clips with it, and has never let me down in the almost two years I have run it. As far as memory goes I have always just run the corsair value ram on mine. With the good value ram out there now, anything over 120$ for a gig is overkill IMO.

Agreed. You can find really high performance RAM that costs quite a bit more, but you won't really need it with an AXP. anandtech.com just did a valueRAM comparison that is quite interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392&p=1

The Kingston cas3 RAM did decently(this is the RAM I have in my sig, although mine is 2 x 256). You can pick it up at newegg for real cheap.

The OCZ value RAM did exceptionally well for a bit more.

The OCZ pc3200 gold did a little bit better than the value RAM, but you'd need to spend about $200 for that.

The thing with Kingston Value-Ram is that you never really know what chips you're going to get when you order it from Newegg or a similar store. It's best to check a B&M like BestBuy as that way you'll be able to select the chips you want, although it's more pricey.

Aslan said:
I wish. I found a store in Canada that was selling SP-97's for $25.00 CDN, but they sold out before I could order. :-/
Also, with the SP-97 you need to order a different backplate, as the one that comes with the heatsink doesn't fit properly.
I thought the SP-97 comes with the neo backplate, which should fit every motherboard? If it does come with the standard backplate, you don't have to buy a new backplate. All you have to do is cut a little bit off one of the corners of the backplate so that it doesn't interfere with one of the motherboard mounting screws.

Back