• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Palomino vs MP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vantage

Exactly what are the differences between the Athlon XP Palominos coming out a week from now, and the 'Palomino Core' Athlon MP CPUs that have been out for awhile already?

Speeds (Mhz) offered?
FSB speed (100 vs 133)?
L2 Cache?
SMP capability?
Voltages?
Mysterious compatability problems with current mobos?
Other Stuff?

Any info would be helpfull

Vantage said:
Exactly what are the differences between the Athlon XP Palominos coming out a week from now, and the 'Palomino Core' Athlon MP CPUs that have been out for awhile already?

Speeds (Mhz) offered?
FSB speed (100 vs 133)?
L2 Cache?
SMP capability?
Voltages?
Mysterious compatability problems with current mobos?
Other Stuff?

Any info would be helpfull

I don't think anything.

There are a few differences.

The MP is the only chip that officially supports dual processor boards. Right now the only speeds available are 1000 MHz and 1200 MHz.

When the xp is released on October 9 it will come in a few different flavors XP 1500 - 1.33GHz, XP 1600 - 1.4GHz, XP 1700 - 1.47GHz XP, 1800 - 1.53GHz xp's will be named to there comparative speed against Intel not there actual MHz.

I don't really know if there are actual differences in the chip as to why one can support SMP and one cannot.

Hugo are you sure the new chips won't be supporting MP? I was planning on getting one that could be be moved to a dual mobo eventually.

el said:
Hugo are you sure the new chips won't be supporting MP? I was planning on getting one that could be be moved to a dual mobo eventually.

They're called Palamino MP for a reason. MP stands for "Multi Processor." They're supposed to be able to run with true "Multi Processor" support at the processor level, not just the mobo or software level.

Wa11y said:

They're called Palamino MP for a reason. MP stands for "Multi Processor." They're supposed to be able to run with true "Multi Processor" support at the processor level, not just the mobo or software level.

Yes the MP is the 1 gig and 1.2 gig. The desktop palomino is not mp but xp. The MP's are the only chip that officially supports "Multi processor". Like I said before I don't know if that means that xp actually wont do it. My guess is that it wouldn't be a problem, but that is just a guess.

Well, I'm pretty sure the AthlonXP will run in a dual configuration. TBirds and current Durons, while not supported for SMP, do work. They're just not optimized. The Palo/Morgan's larger cache, TLB and hardware instruction prefetch are going to make them much more beneficial in a dual setup than current socket A chips.

My personal plan is for dual Morgans on an A7M266-D or a K7 Master-D or whatever board Abit comes out with, if they come out with a dual socket A board soon. Oh, and dual Alpha 8045's. (Thinking about this makes me so happy... :) )

SickBoy

Back