• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those that don't know how much power they use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
Last edited:
looks all i needed for my new system was 300w..............but i'm gonna over clock the **** out of it so i guess i need that extra 200 watts! lol

is it wrong? i thought they were pretty close to accurate for wattage
hell i thought it would give a ballpark,
i got 496 on the first and 397 on the second,, ithik the second may be more accurate.... but ugh...

Last edited:
unreal said:
is it wrong? i thought they were pretty close to accurate for wattage
hell i thought it would give a ballpark,
i got 496 on the first and 397 on the second,, ithik the second may be more accurate.... but ugh...

The first link is recommended power, the second link is minimum recommended power. That's why there's a difference.

Takaman has another calculator, and it gives not only a watt estimate but also estimates for amps for each voltage rail. Its estimates are usually lower and more realistic, but I've found that its +3.3V amp estimate should be multiplied by 2-3. Still, even it overshot my actual power consumption. The calculator that gives the lowest estimates may be PC Power & Cooling's PSU selector.

I have over a hundred watt difference between 1st and second test.

617 Watts 1st
461 Watts second

However this does not include cooling for either test.
I guess it is a good thing I have a second PSU just for my fans then. Especially since my CPU fan pulls overs 30 watts all by itself. LOL

Electron Chaser said:
I have over a hundred watt difference between 1st and second test.

617 Watts 1st
461 Watts second

However this does not include cooling for either test.
I guess it is a good thing I have a second PSU just for my fans then. Especially since my CPU fan pulls overs 30 watts all by itself. LOL

The first link is recommended power, the second link is minimum recommended power. That's why there's a difference.

both links say "Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is" for me.

381 for the first, 296 for the second

well let's see - spcr tested a system a while back with a watt-meter:

- athlon64 3800+
- 2 120gb hard drives
- 9800 pro
- 2gb ram
- 3 fans
- 1 dvdr drive

that system's maximum measured power draw was 147 watts or so, during 3dmark while priming or some such. the calculators however give anywhere from 320 to 400 watts as required psu ratings.

yeha said:
the calculators however give anywhere from 320 to 400 watts as required psu ratings.

Some of these probably err on the side of caution, knowing that the majority of PSU makers out there have no clue how to realistically rate their units ;)

The Takaman calculator gave me 299w for my system - still seems fairly high to me, but so far the most realistic. I do think it's pulling close to the 30A @ 5v claimed though at times.

yeah, so which one is accurate? one told me 303 and the other said 426. Guess i just need a 500?

--pak

I visited them pages and no options for my setup exactly. I didnt find A64 2800+, so I used a 3000+. The 6600GT AGP wasn't there either so I chose a 6800GT. The rest was reasonable.
401/ 271

I am thinking this isn't an accurate test for most hardware. My system is so vanilla it isn't funny. Well at least I have a halfway decent PSU and it's within them results. My rails show good on a multi-meter so no worries. :D

Back