• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get Water Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xMercuryx

Registered
My Aunt has decided to move in with my family, and she always complains about how loud my Computer is, so I got to thinking well she is going to get money from selling her house so why dont i have her buy me water cooling? Not only do I want water cooling so i dont have to listen to my computer sound like a vacum, I also want to oc to 1.6 or 1.7 tops if that is possible. I was planning to get a bigger case, and a good water cooling setup. So how much is this going to set her back and is it worth it if i can?

i spent around 150+ bucks not including the case.

dd cube
dd maze2
danner mag7 pump
plus tubes, etc at the hardware store

the results imho were well worth it, but yet i found that it was only partially temps holding me back from oc'ing. my 300W amd approved PSU cant handle much of an overclock. i cant get past 1470 (which runs my 5v line at 4.8ish V) on my 1.2g tbird.

on the plus side, temps dropped from around 55C to the low to mid 30's. the noise is not the high pitched whining of the small fans, but a barely noticeable hum of the larger 120mm fans. in fact, my hard drives and CD are the loudest things now!

I sugest looking for a aquarium store near u to buy a pump. The one near me seels a 600 gph pump for only 69 bucks wich is alot cheaper than getinbg it online

if you don't want to do the work, Koolance has an excellent cooling setup, for 200 bucks you get everything but the PSU, you get a sweet case, nice temp monitor LCD with many sweet features like automitc fan control and auto-shutdown. I don't want to be their walking advertisment but they really deserve the money this time, they built a very nice watercooling rig for a Great! price. If you don't even want to work putting in a PSU, you can get the case for 285 dollars with one of the best PSUs out there, 431w. Oh yes.. and on top of all they are known for thieir noiseless achivements, this case will cool amazingly with out a peep. 2 of my friends just got the case (ordered it) and can't wait for it.

200 sounds a whole lot to you now but if you look at other kits, they will at up to 150+ for a good rig and that does not include the fans you are getting, the awsome temp LCP and it's "brain", and a beautiful case. 50 Dollars for a case and the accesories is not bad wouldn't you say?

I'd say this is worth a click!!!

Hmmm, well I am also thinking of a new case to so would it be better to get a 11 bay case and put my own water cooler in, or get a 8 bay case with water cooling built in? One is cheaper but i might one more bays for more possibilities. Give me your feed back. Also does water cooling need a constant source of water, or does it just sit in your computer?

Back