• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Giving that FSB some extra 'umph'.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FalconBlade

Ok, I've been toying with the notion of upping my FSB and dropping the multipliers on my system (as seen in my signature). I am wanting to keep it at 2300 or 2400 but would rather run it on a higher FSB to boost things a bit. I know my RAM can handle this as it is PC3700. What would be the best way to go about doing this? IE, could someone please go into detail on voltages and timings for my key components? Thanks!

-Fb

Just simply drop the multi to 11x, and up the fsb, piece of cake. 11x119 should start you off.

Ok, I tried that and the system wasn't stable at all. It had booted, windows loaded and as soon as I tried to post a reply here, it reset. I have it on 11.5x215 now and it is running seemingly fine. Going to timedemo Doom3 for a bit and if it holds up I'll prime for a couple hours while i watch a movie. Thanks!

-Fb

Yeah, basically you want to keep upping the FSB & priming. I like to go in 5MHz jumps initially in windows using the overclocking tools in Speedfan & once I run into instability at 5MHz jumps its back to 1MHz increases & tweaking timings/voltage via the BIOS.

Fireball_dbz said:
are epox good at ocing probably its your mobo thats limiting you.... then again i might be wrong.

Actually, EPoX are one of the best at overclocking. I'm currently running this barton at 12x205 1.74v. The thing with this chip is, it will run at 2600 with voltage at 2.0v. My SI-97 simply cannot cool that down enough. I believe the reason I can't get the FSB up so high is due to my needing to keep the voltages as low as possible. I just primed for 2 hours at the above specs and it has remained stable throughout...temps peaked at 42c with ambient being 20c.

-Fb

Use clockgen and see how fare it goes. This way you cant corrupt the bios.

I am looking for programs to help me with overclocking. I seen that you guys referred to something called Speedfan and clockgen? What are these and where can I download them? I am tired of having to reset my system to get to the bios to change settings.

JB

OK so a clock generator is a piece of hardware. OK I get it. Damn well I don't know if I want to buy one seeing as how I am going to be building another system. I mean I like this one but it just isn't fast enough for me. I have a friend who has a dual processor board so I think I am going to buy that. I am going to keep this unless I happen to get the right price but I don't think that is going to happen. Anyway I have downloaded speedfan which is cool but it doesn't let me change the fsb or multi. Ok speedfan asks about who makes your mother board. Now I have a Albatron kx18D pro board and when I look at the settings it doesn't have albatron. It has stuff like atx,asus,biostar,etc.I mean who is my board made by then?Oh and U have memtest1. Am I suppose to being using another memtest?

Thanks
JB

JB

Back