• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do cpu's "break in"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

My rig is exactly 2mos old today. 2mos ago, I purchased a new k8n mobo, amd 754 2800+, and 1 gig of kingston ram. My video card was about a mo old and my HD is about 5yrs old.

Honestly, when I first put it together, I wasnt too impressed. It was better, but not *better*. In the last couple weeks, I have noticed while playing WoW, the game seems to be running a lot smoother, even in big pvp battles once everything loads up.

Since I put it together, I have update drivers and OC'd my video card that resulted in a little bit more than 25% increase in bench marks.

Now I use this rig everyday playing between 6-18hrs of wow. After I updated drivers and OCd the video card, I really didnt notice anything, but recently, it just seems *smoother.*

am I imagining things?

--pak

Your question is all about perception. I personally think things do blend together after awhile, and run smoother. But thats how I percieve it. To each his own.......

I was kinda thinkn the same. Im really new to the OCn world and learning a lot more about PCs. I work with cars daily and the engines i work with do require a "break in" period. Thought maybe itd be the same for pcs for some odd reason. thx

--pak

I would assume, once you get it running smoothly from driver updates. Getting a burn-in time for the CPU (has shown for some to work). I know if you used AS5 you do have a break in time. About 200 hours worth. So yes in some ways there is a break in period. You got to get to know your rig.
It took me about two weeks of good messing around with driver combos and OS/BIOS tweaks to get mine running smooth. :D I found out once you hit that one spot or higher on your oc the machine has a nice 'feel' to it.

I honestally feel it does. For everytthing I own there is usually a 24 hour period of where it runs like crap then settles down

I just wonder if we are right or if we are indeed percieving this.

--pak

You're indirectly burning it in as you use it.

Ever get a brand new car yourself (I never did), or ever know or hear about someone getting a new car? Well, I'm sure you have, but you may not be aware of the fact that they need to be broken in. Most unleaded gasoline cars need 1000+ miles before you could really start beating on em. One of my friends bought a brand new F350 Superduty Deisel (duely) about 2.5 years ago. I remember it was like a 2003 then, and he said he needed to hit 10,000 miles before he would start getting better mileage/performance outa it.

A lot of, but not all, eletronic/mechanical parts need to be broken in. You were indirectly burning in your parts most likely. If you know about Sentential's burn-in technique and how it works then that should be the answer to your curiosity.

It is funny cause I had the same thing happen to my system. I built mine around December, but have since then ripped is back apart to install heat sinks on the SB, FETs and a different cooler on the NB. I reapplied AS5 to teh CPU and reinstalled my HS. My temps always seemed to run around 40c, and it is always folding so it never gets to see a no load condition.

Recently I replaced one of my panaflo fans with a low speed Cool Master, and readjusted my fan speeds to keep some positive pressure in the case. I was shocked one day to see my system running at 32c. The first thing I thought is that my folding program got ung up and the CPU is idle....nope still running full boare folding away. Then I started checking settings to make sure they were right, and they were.

Long story short, I think the AS5 actually set in finally. I did leave town for a few days and shut my system down due to some bad storms in the area. I am wondering if that cool down forced the AS5 to set in.

Now that I am running so low it is time to push up the speed some more!

pak said:
I just wonder if we are right or if we are indeed percieving this.

--pak

I think its how we percieve it. It reminds me of when I bought my new monitor. All the colors looked way off (i was used to the old color rep of the CRT), and I was like "this is horrible". But after a while, it became normal... and my eyes adjusted. Now the picture looks great.

Nothing really changed, but I now percieve it differentl.

g0dM@n said:
If you know about Sentential's burn-in technique and how it works then that should be the answer to your curiosity.

Link?

You know... I just remembered... I once had my XP90 running like 42-44C idle and 52C-ish at full load, and I forget what I did but now I'm 34-36C idle (lower in winter), and 40-42C full load) :)

Hate to be a kill joy but the on the forums the WOW offical people said they've been streamlining/optimizing the code bit by bit in the patches so it runs better on slower computers.

Bandit, you confused me there for a sec. You should quote PAK from his first post, so that people understand what you were just talking about.

g0dM@n said:
You're indirectly burning it in as you use it.

Ever get a brand new car yourself (I never did), or ever know or hear about someone getting a new car? Well, I'm sure you have, but you may not be aware of the fact that they need to be broken in. Most unleaded gasoline cars need 1000+ miles before you could really start beating on em. One of my friends bought a brand new F350 Superduty Deisel (duely) about 2.5 years ago. I remember it was like a 2003 then, and he said he needed to hit 10,000 miles before he would start getting better mileage/performance outa it.

A lot of, but not all, eletronic/mechanical parts need to be broken in. You were indirectly burning in your parts most likely. If you know about Sentential's burn-in technique and how it works then that should be the answer to your curiosity.

another topic, but cars off the lot do NOT need to be broken in. That goes for motorcycles, boats, ect....

Hate to be a kill joy but the on the forums the WOW offical people said they've been streamlining/optimizing the code bit by bit in the patches so it runs better on slower computers.

That may just be it there.

--pak

pak said:
another topic, but cars off the lot do NOT need to be broken in. That goes for motorcycles, boats, ect....

Actually, some do. I didn't say EVERY SINGLE ONE!

I definately think there is a break-in period for PCU's and the entire system as a whole. I know that my OC increased 10-15mhz after a few months of regular operation :)

Plus all the little bugs were worked out upon first boot.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, People who dont break them in properly have oil consumption problems. I agree though you dont hear about it on many cars. Break in is an odd science though, more to it than just going easy. Dont run an engine at constant speeds, not good to run synthetic oil since it makes it take longer etc.. etc... I only ever worry about bottom end break ins though. Top end I usually just ride it without pushing it to the max for a while.

Back