• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So...my pump cracked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
And didn't really spill all over the system or anything. No damage that I can see. I have a Danner Mag 3, and it's been running wonderfully for about 2 years almost 24/7. Yesterday morning my computer wouldn't start up, and I noticed that the inlet threading (which is pretty poorly constructed) had cracked. I think a drop or two of water got into a power supply connector and caused PSU to trip whenever I attempted to start up. My pump is relatively isolated from the rest of the system as far as pumps inside of cases go, and water wasn't gushing everywhere, so it's cool.

I still need a new pump though, and this time I would like to get something of a little higher quality. I have sort of a personal vendetta against pumps like the D4 and Swiftech's MCP series, mostly because I think you're paying way too much for what you get. I also don't really like 12v DC pumps, because I'd rather not have something sitting around and draining my 12v line. AC pumps are just fine and dandy by me, and the whole "what if you forget to plug in your pump???" argument doesn't really hold up...I just plug my AC pumps into the computer's power strip so that they have to be on if the computer is.

I'm thinking about an Iwaki MD-20RLT or MD-20RLZT. Ebay doesn't seem to have a whole bunch right now...does anyone have some ideas on where to find these for cheap? Or any suggestions in general? Thanks folks!

If water got in the supply, you might want to go ahead and test every thing you have... There's no telling if it might have screwed up the powersupply or whatever it was plugged in to.

I was happy with my l30, look for l35's for like 40-45.

No, I've tested everything, and it's alright. The pump wasn't anywhere near the power supply itself...just got a bit of moisture in one of the connectors, I think.

Anyone else with info on the Hydors? I don't know if they would have the head height I'm looking for.

Are you trying for silence or performance?

If you want silence go for Eheim. I have a 1048 and I love it. I have heard that the 1250 is also very quiet, but much more powerful.

If you want performance go for Iwaki. They cost quite a bit but are great pumps.

Yeah, what exactly are you looking for? Performance, get another mag3. If you want silence, a Eheim. You don't want 12v so there aren't many many options. You could go iwaki but you don't want to pay alot. That's why I like Hydors: decent performance and not very loud, very reasonable price.

Well, performance is a fairly big deal for me. I'll be using a Swiftech 6002, MCW20, and a DD Maze 4 in series, so it needs to get through all of those with a decent flow rate. I'll be using 1/2" or 7/16" tubing. If noise level is the same as my Mag 3 was then I'll be fairly happy, but quieter would be nice. How do the Iwakis do against the Eheims in terms of noise?

Eheim = extreme silence but performance isn't as good as the mag3. My L301 went through a chevette core, white water, maze4, and zchip and was still strong in performance. Don't doubt those pumps.

Yup, Eheim 1250's are dead silent. Just don't mount them directly to your case, they will cause vibration noise (what pump doesn’t.) Mount them somewhere immune to vibration (I have it attached to my wooden enclosure, no noise radiation from it, or you can just mount it on rubber isolation mounts) and you won't here a thing, I guarantee it. Unless you have better hearing than me and you don't have ANY fans on your setup.

Back