• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling old and buying new. Could use some opinions!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boltboy

Registered
Hey guys,

The upgrade itch has finally caught up to me. I'm selling most of the internals of my computer and moving to the 64 bandwagon. Please critique the pricings of what im selling to let me know if its fair or not, and also check my newegg wishlist on whether you agree ive made some good decisions.

This will mainly be used for gaming, btw.

This is what i'm getting rid of/selling

(prices reflect neweggs retail)

AMD XP 2800 Barton = $106
Asus A7N8X-Delux = $92
Evil Commando II Radeon 9700 Pro video card = $115
Thermaltake Xaser II case (Japanese Steel, not aluminum) = $115
52X Lite-on CDRW drive = $27
512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM = $70
FSP Fortron 350w PSU = $35

= $560

I'll probably sell it all, already built, for $400. All anyone needs to do is pop in their Harddrive and its good to go.

This is my newegg wishlist to replace these parts some day =)

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
$130.00

Rosewill Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card
$271.99

POWMAX PSDE580 ATX 580W Power Supply
$33.45

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 $182.99

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 73GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
$178.00

LITE-ON SOHW-1653S BLK OEM Black IDE DVD Burner
$47.99

Roughly $850. I've never owned a fast HD, so the raptor should be nice. The powersupply, although *very* cheap for its specs, has over 100 positive reviews. The X800XL seems like the best vid card for me since I mainly enjoy CS source and Battlefield (both which run better on this than the more expensive 6800 GT), and lastly the mobo is supposed to be a GREAT oc'er and gaming board.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
-Bolt

I strongly suggest a better power supply than the POWMAX and even the Aspire you changed it to. If you want an affordable solution look at Fortron, specifically the 530W model. Also consider OCZ as they seem popular among people here. A solid PSU is very important if you are going to be overclocking. Better to spend the money on a PSU rather than on replacing all your expensive components when it fails and takes them with it. Also I would at least think about getting a Nvidia card because it leaves the option of using SLI in the future at least open even if you don't end up doing it. Good Luck with your new system!

Anymore opinions? Like, for starters, is the price im asking for my older stuff fair?

I don't about the price of yoru old system. But you should definatly get a better psu.........say a fortron. Don't go for middle class when your going for an upgrade. Also why not get a venice since they just came out :p

Also what kind of cooling will you be using????

PEACE

Boltboy said:
I just read an interesting review on anandtech that shows the Raptor getting pounded by an Seagate Barracuda, which happens to be both cheaper and 250 Gigs instead of the 76G.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2396&p=13

What do you guys make of this? So for a gaming computer, the Seagate would actually work better? IE: this one...

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148062

Something just doesnt make sense to me.

The reason your confused is you are looking/linking to the wrong Seagate HDD

Anandtech was tesing the 16mb version and the one you linked to was the 8mb cache version

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822140154

Anandtech also tested the Seagate Barracuda 400gb 7200.8, but that hdd starts at over $300 (It's an 8mb cache)

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

I would hardly say "pounded." In fact, i'm not sure if even "edged out" is appropriate. Take a look at the IPEAK, Winstone, and SYSMark results. The Raptor clearly beat out every other drive in those tests. It also won every application load time test. The only time it lost by a decent margin is while loading a single level in a single application (Doom III). I don't believe the Seagate would be better, no. It would make an excellent drive if you weren't getting a Raptor or couldn't afford one, but overall the Raptor is going to provide significantly superior performance.

will the blue storm need either the 20-24 pin or the PCIe adapters?

The blue storm is a 24-pin PSU, so it's designed to work with more current motherboards. It also includes a 24-20pin adapter to work with older boards. The adapter shouldn't cause any issues.

I'm confused about heat sinks. If I got the thermaltake 90 (a-90?) I would just have to stick a fan on top of it (90mm), correct? Are they fairly easy to mount onto 939 boards? Ive only had experience mounting Heatsinks on Socket A boards, and i was always worried id crack the CPU having to force those clips on.

Could someone just give me a quick explination on how it worsk and if its fairly simple/safe.

Also, if the thermaltake is the way to go please reccommend me a fan. I'm clueless as far as thats concerned.

Back