• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

Well I was testing out a Maxtor 300GB 16mb cache SATA drive on my computer to make sure it worked. When I plugged it in I booted up and it detected the Maxtor, but it no longer detected my slave WD 80GB IDE. So I unplugged the SATA drive and booted up but still no 80GB HDD. Why would my WD all of a sudden not work? My bios wont detect it and niether will Windows. I had some information on that HDD that I would like to keep. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks.

You might try resetting your bios to defaults and see if it detects it. Also, try the drive in another system or try it as the master and boot from DOS to see if you can see the data.

I tried resetting the bios by loading the bios defaults 'F6' but it didnt work. Should I also try clearing the CMOS? I dont have another computer to try this HDD in so I cant do that.

Clearing CMOS wouldn't hurt but i would try making it the master and booting to a DOS diskette just to see if you can access the files. If the drive is NTFS then you can try booting to the recovery console on the windows XP cd.

Did BIOS still recognize your other IDE devices? You could try hooking it to the CD-ROMs' IDE cable. Flash CMOS or go through the BIOS and play with the controller options.

Yeah, it recognizes the other identical 80GB I have in there and it recognizes the NEC-3500 DVD-RW I have. Ill try booting into DOS and the recov. console. What happens if that does work? What should I do after that?

Basicly, what I was looking for it to make sure your IDE controller was still working as normal. If you can't throw the drive in another box this will be almost as good.

Try hooking the drive to the other IDE connector on the motherboard and try hooking the other IDE hardware into the connector that didn't like the HDD you think is bad. Basicly you're testing the motherboard to insure it's ok and also you'll be hooking the suspected bad HDD to a connector you know is working fine.

Well I got it all fixed and it was a really wierd fix. Last night I reinstalled a bunch of chipset drivers and other drivers concerning my motherboard and I restarted my computer after all that, and there is my HDD.

Back