• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dell proprietary power supplies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fangs404

does anyone know if the dell dimension 4600 has a propritary or standard atx power supply? i'm helping a buddy upgrade (changing mobo, ram, gfx card), and i need to know if the psu will work with the new mobo. thanks. :)

Fangs404 said:
does anyone know if the dell dimension 4600 has a propritary or standard atx power supply? i'm helping a buddy upgrade (changing mobo, ram, gfx card), and i need to know if the psu will work with the new mobo. thanks. :)

It's using a standard atx psu :) Just buy a new one because that gets really hot :p

MrCooper said:
It's using a standard atx psu :) Just buy a new one because that gets really hot :p

believe me, i'd love for him to buy a new psu, but it literally took everything he had to buy the new components. the most he could afford is one of the dell -> atx converters. you're positive i don't need to buy a converter?

Fangs404 said:
believe me, i'd love for him to buy a new psu, but it literally took everything he had to buy the new components. the most he could afford is one of the dell -> atx converters. you're positive i don't need to buy a converter?

Yes, very positive indeed :p No converters attached positive :santa: I've tested my nephew's dell 250W psu on my P4P800-SE and the voltages are a little better than your normal antec's. :) All the rails vary by 3% while I was testing it, but although not sufficient for overclocking period. :p

MrCooper said:
Yes, very positive indeed :p No converters attached positive :santa: I've tested my nephew's dell 250W psu on my P4P800-SE and the voltages are a little better than your normal antec's. :) All the rails vary by 3% while I was testing it, but although not sufficient for overclocking period. :p

thanks a ton for the info. ;) he's not computer-savvy enough to oc, so that's no problem. :D

Fangs404 said:

Dell 4600 and 4600C are have very problematic PSU, after alot of investigating I installed a a rosewill 450W value series. all i did was remove the white wire from pin 18 (-5V) and all was good.

Speed Safley

Back