• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old cheap laptop; linux; quiet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

i am in the market for a used laptop in the under $500 range. it seems my only options are pentium3 or maybe a G3 ibook. thoughts? i need it to be totally quiet: i.e. fans don't spin under low load. it would be nice to have a centrino-M but i'm only going to be using this for websurfing, word processing and a few other things. no games; no photoshop or anything like that; just a basic laptop for running gentoo linux. any athlonxp-m's or other cpu's i could afford? ($500 is my top limit)

size is also important: i want it light even if that means a smaller screen. i know in my price range i'm not going to find anything "light" by today's standards.

i'm going to put a big hdd in for my music files, and upgrade ram to 512mb or 1gb if it is supported.

check on ebay, i bought an hp zt1290 with a p4m @1.8ghz, cdrw/dvd, 64mb graphics, 512ram, 15" sxga+ lcd, 40gig hdd, and integrated WIFI for $460 shipped.
on the downside, the battery is crap, but those are $25-35 on ebay.

been very pleased so far.

Back