• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RBX style blocks and duel radiators ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lcpiper

Registered
I have a question and I am looking for someone who has actually tried this approach.

I will be running a WaterChill kit with their 900 l/hr SACEM Pump, CPU and GPU blocks, and a pair of BIP3 rads.

I intend to run the components like this;

Pump > GPU > CPU > CPU outlets each at roughly half flow rate to the BIP3s in parellel > and "Y" back to the pump.

I would have prefered a pair of BIX2's but have to live with the two BIP3s I have on hand.

What I want to know is if the increased head-loss of the two rads will outweight the benefits of slowed flow-rate through seperate radiators.

I have seen some performance figures on radiators and typically they are done with a single component sytem, so when flow rates are lowered, the reduced flow rate also effects the water block performance and therefore the outcome of the tests.

If anyone has done this I would very much appreciate information about your results. Thanx.

you need to have the water flow through the rads as fast or as much volume as you can, i would not cut the flow through the rads in half.

that waterchill/hydor pump will definitely not put out the pressure needed for the sytem to operate at its maximum potential - you probably would want to pick up an aquaextreme50z or laing DDC instead

Let me explain a bit, I am currently doing a review on a aterhill kit for a retailer. So in some ways, the choices for gear are limited. So because of this, I am less interested in equipment suggestions then I am in the effects of playing with what I have.

Outhouse, if I have him right, is saying that flow rates through the rads are as important to cooling as they are to the water blocks. In other words, high flow is better then low flow.

But it may have been a myth, but I remember all the old discussions on "sweet spots" and the issue was high through the blocks was good, but you wanted low through the rads. And of course, it's hard to have both, so has it been shown that high flow rates through the radiator increase cooling performance at that point ?

the flowrate through the cpu block is much more important than through the radiators (especially with such massive overkill), since you have a weak pump i'd run in parallel

OK, lemme rephrase and narrow this down some.

If I had a test system where changes in flow rates did NOT effect the amount of heat induced into the water loop, but did effect the radiator's peformance; how would changes in flow rate effect the radiator's perfomance ?

less flow, less performance through radiators. thats why some people are running huge pumps in there sytems. in the basic question stickies theres a good explanation on the hows and why's. basicaly in a closed system the more water that passes through a radiator equals more of a chance for the water to be cooled. old school had thought that the slower the water moves the more it will be cooled but in todays system it doesnt work that way.

Thanx Outhouse, it isn't going to cost me anything to play with it some as it's all review work anyway. I'll be running stuff in and outa my test bench like made for a couple of weeks.

You guys hang loose man :cool:

Back