• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting over Gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

Well i have a fulyl functional environment but my GUI and sound are all crapped out. Anyway i can go back to just a full working console and get rid of the GUI and that crap and start over like i just finished the installation?

emerge -C whateverguiyouarerunning

Sound is pretty easy to fix, what card are you running?

I have Ti4200, the newer kind with 8x AGP and 128mb ram. I just want to start fresh because i ran into a lot of errors and have had to use ctrl+alt+backspace a lot.

Constantinos said:
I have Ti4200, the newer kind with 8x AGP and 128mb ram. I just want to start fresh because i ran into a lot of errors and have had to use ctrl+alt+backspace a lot.

What were your problems, there really never is a good reason to start over. Anything can be fixed with a little effort and time.

Constantinos said:
Nah, i would rather start fresh because i feel i need a fresh start on this

So why did you start this post then? You are not even going to listen to advise, so I guess Ill just stop giving it.

Constantinos said:
I just wanted to know how to start fresh. I didnt know about the -C thing to get rid of stuff but now i do.

Sorry if i sounded like a jerk

Same way you did it before.

Format and start over.

man emerge will tell you manby useful things. Instead of doing a whole emerge -C, you might want to try jusr re-emergeing the packages in question and double-checking your config files (emerge -C shouldn't nuke config files because of config-protect). If you really want to start over you have to do soemthing like:
export CONFIG_PROTECT="-*"
emerge -C your windowmanager
emerge -C xorg-x11

Did the errors show up when you were building something, or when you were running the config program for X?

If it's the latter, starting over won't help at all.

Starting over isn't really likely to help here at all.

Back