• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Had enough with WD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Ok well my WD has broken now twice in 7 months, and its getting me mad. Its a 160 8mb 7200 hdd. It never gets that hot and has a fan that blow on it constantly. My old seagate has been oing for 4 years strong now, so this is making me reconsider WD big time. Any way I dont know I am just getting tired of them failling on me so soon after buying. It also hurts that its my main drive so I lose so much crap. Oh and sorry if I alreayd posted this, I searched and couldnt find it.

I used Vantec Hard drive coolers on my important drive. It helps keep it cool enough..

I have also been spending the extra money on Raid Edition drives from WD. They are rated to have a lower likelihood of death.

I've had mixed results with all forms of hard drives. I use Western Digitals nowadays because of price performance and their expedited warranty service. Really, all hard drives have a tendency to die. Some manufacturing lines have worse results than others, but really no make has been consistent from what I have seen.

The best thing you can do is stick with drives with less platters... thats about it.

I know what you mean. Also, many and in fact probably most of the bad HDDs that I saw were Western Digitals. :(

honestly i have never had a problem with any of my Samsung's and nobody I know have had problems with samsungs or seagates, only WD's...so take outta that what you will.

I have been running Western Digitals for years and have yet to have a problem. Call it it luck. But I think they make decent drives. Only other drives I would consider would be Seagate or Maxtor. IMHO

The only WD I'll run is a Raptor. I've lost countless GB worth of data on POS WD drives dying within months of buying them. I've been using Maxtor drives almost exclusively for 5+ years now, and have still never had one fail (unless it was caused by something else...had a SATA controller kill a SATA maxtor drive)

every single maxtor ive had have failed. All I use is WD now, never had a single one fail on me. I have folding rigs that have 1gig wd's in them that are 10 yrs old, and their still going strong

Maybe I just have luck, but so far seagate has been going strong. The way I am cooling it is a 80mm fan that pushes like 32 cfm. SO not extrmely powerful but pushes a enough air to cool a hdd. Right now my drive is 25c

I have a Maxtor with no cooling at all running at 25c :D

GentooServ root # hddtemp /dev/hdb
/dev/hdb: Maxtor 6E040L0: 25 C

The one right above it runs 43c though

had no luck with WD's unfortunately :(

went through 4 WD800JB's in about 5 months. All different manufacturing dates, and in different types of systems. Replaced them all with Seagate's, and life is good :)

Just my experiences.

Hmm... I have a WD800JB that I have kept on for 2 months straight (or at least for the most part). Could the drive be in danger?

I've got a WD800JB that you could say I abuse, and it's still truckin' ;) My PSU isn't powerful enough, so the 12V and 5V is pretty low and can force the drive to reset every once in a while while the computer is still on :eek: I also leave it running 24/7 for weeks on end with minimal ventilation (haven't done 2 months yet, but I managed 32 days a few weeks ago before I had to turn it off for a lan party :bang head).

JigPu

hmm....all my hds are WD and they've been runnin strong for yrs....

funny you guys like samsung....i took my samsung 120gb out of my xbox and put it in my comp cause i needed more space for some torrents....well anyways it died within a week here.....its barely over a yr old too....guess every has diff luck with drives....

I love WD. never had a problem. I have an 80 gb and 200 gb WDs in my main rig. No problems and I have had the 80 for like 2 years now. I just sold a 40 gig WD that was still working great.

I just bought a seagate SATA 200 gig drive and its good so far. but I had to get a Maxtor 80 gig for school and that one I hate. Its slow as hell and I think its dying. ITs in my server and every now and then it just ****s up, gets slower and slower every day.

I've always hated maxtor though. Never had a maxtor last more than 2 years.

All of my hard drives are WD. I've been running WD hard drives for over 4 years now. Haven't had a single problem with thme *knock on wood*.

Back