• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going silent PC. Which PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reyn

Basically my old computer, it's now for my mum, she needs a really SILENT computer, literally silent when side panel is closed.

Spec:

P4 2.8Ghz Northwood, no Hyper Threading (cooled with thermaltake rocket faneless liquid cooling)

Geforce4 MX-440, (stock passive heat sink)

40GB 7200rmp HDD

Question, what PSU should I get? I'm looking at two PSU so far, one is the the thermtaltake fanelss 350w PSU and the other one is the Antec Phantom 350w PSU

If any of these two PSU is install, I will have a SilentX 80mm case fan + 80mm silicon sheet to exhaust the warm air.

the phantom is much much more popular over at silentpcreview than the thermaltake. both have had reliability issues mentioned however, a couple reviewers have managed to send them both into meltdown.

i'd go for a seasonic s12 if i were you (a sub-500 watt model), at most load levels the fan won't go over 650 rpm, which for a yate loon is only 18 dba or so. plus it'll improve your cpu temps a good bit thanks to airflow.

if you're after some real silence, you have to look at enclosing or suspending that hard drive of yours. that's what made the biggest difference in my case, the hard drive was creating more noise through resonance and amplification than i ever suspected.

Back