• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Rig, Need Sugestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicolasxr

Registered
Case:THERMALTAKE Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

MotherBoard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

Videocard: 1 eVGA Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card

PowerSupply: Antec TRUE550 EPS12V EPS12V 550W

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939

Memory: Update CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XL

Hardrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA NCQ ST3300831AS 300GB 7200 RPM

those are the parts i am thinking on buying, what do you guys think? what would u guys change? my budget is $1500

Last edited:
Hmm, for $1500 I'de go w/:

DFI nF4 Ultra-D --> $135
Venice 3500+ (assuming you want a 3500+) --> $272
OCZ VX 3200 (2x512) --> $183
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300Gb (refurb) --> $159
EVGA 6800GT PCI-E (refurb) --> $303
--------------------------------------------
Total --> $1052

Then you can choose a case to suit your needs. I highly recommend the coolermaster stacker (which I own). It's a simple, nice looking case with stellar airflow.

If you want to save another $120 go w/ the 3000+ venice. They will most likely OC the same as the 3500+.

If you go w/ the 3000+ Venice ($150 from monarch) and the stacker ($160) the total comes to $1090.

An alternative to the UTT base OCZ VX ram would be some nice TCCD.... such as the G.Skill PC4400 LE's.... this will add apprx $100 to the price though.

** all prices from Newegg

-Adrayic

thx, will the Antec TRUE550 EPS12V EPS12V 550W work with the DFI nF4 Ultra-D ?

other thing, is there too much difference between Venice 3500+ and Venice 3000+?

I have never used an Antec power supply before but I dont see why it wouldn't work. Is this the one your referring to:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103918

If you are looking to purchase a PS for around $125, you should also take a look at OCZ and Fortron. The OCZ Powerstream 520w is highly recommended by many people on the forums (I own one as well). Its a solid powersupply w/ adjustable rails and its very quiet. The Fortron blue storm is also highly recommended. Here are the newegg links:

OCZ Powerstream 520w --> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104152
Fortron Bluestorm 500w --> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103918

As for the 3500+ vs the 3000+ Venice. Due to lack of results available, we are still unsure if the Venice CPU's will be heavily speed binned. The general concensus is that they will behave similarly to the winchester core (not heavily binned). This is justified with preliminary results as well as the fact that the Venice is just a revision to the Winchester core and not a completely new design. That being said, there shouldn't be too much variation in max OC's between the 3000+, 3200+, and 3500+. If you plan on OCing, my advice would be to get the 3000+ and save some cash.

-Adrayic

Welcome to The Forums

You have selected some very good components.My recommendation would be to spend a little time doing research on the Forums specificlly the Power Supply Forum,the Motherboards and Memory.You might end up selecting excellent components that will give you that extra bit of preformance you might enjoy.
For example the Powerstream and Bluestorm PS are superior not acceptable.You could do the same thing in the Memory and Motherboard selections.The Asus MB you selected is very good however after doing research you might lean toward the NF4 or DFI board.While your doing it find out the details about the differant cores of the AMD chips you might decide to go a specific direction.Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!!!

ok i think i am going with this:

Motherboard: DFI Lan Party UT Nforce4 Ultra-D
Processor: AMD 3500+ Venice or AMD 3000+ Venice
PowerSupply: OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply
Memory: OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200)
VideoCard: eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB PCI- Express x16
Case: THERMALTAKE Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
CD/DVD: SONY DW-D26A Black IDE DVD Burner
Floppy: SONY MPF920 Black 1.44MB 3.5"
HardDrive: Dont know what to choose :bang head

I need some suggestions about harddrives, can spend $180 on a harddrive. other thing, is the OCZ El Platinum a good memory? or will u guys choose another type/brand of memory?

If your planning on over clocking your gonna want a heatsink and cooler for the cpu. As far as HD's go seagate and WD's seem reliable. I've got the dream case but if I could do it over I think I would have gone with the cooler master wave master.
Welcome to the forums!!!

Yes, the OCZ Platinum Rev 2 is great memory. Most can run up to 275mhz @ 2.5-3-3-X. As for the hard drive - it really depends on how much space you need. Personally I'de go w/ the maxtor I listed above as it is one of the best drives available on the market right now and it comes at a reasonable price.

SpazTech is right..... dont skimp out on cooling. Look into thermalright's heatsinks (XP-90C or XP-120) along w/ good 120mm or 92mm fan (depending on the heatsink). The delta 3 blade design and the panaflo fans are both excellent choices. Good luck.

-Adrayic

No problem. :) Keep us posted and if you have any more questions feel free to post them.

-Adrayic

Hopefully its the TRUEII which has the new 24 pin ATX connector.

Nevermind about that.

-1cem4n

Last edited:
My Two Cents Worth

All of the major hard drive manf's that have been listed are repetable.They have a warrenity and stand behind there products.Selection should be made on your preferance,price and the company you buy from.The OEM's and retail
preform exactly the same (so you don't need to worry about that factor) but there are differances on which specific drive you buy(for example: some have a 1 year warrenity some a three, ect). The one factor I would look for is the onboard cashe on the HD.It cost very little extra to buy the 8 meg cashe over the two meg and this slight differance is usually worth the little extra differance in cost (this cashe acts like ram memory and gives you better read and write speeds).I always prefer the longer warrenitys but you have the choice to save a buck or two and get the shorter at a lower price if you want but it is worth it to me).Just use care in ordering and get the specific drives you want.Good Luck

Back