• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Blues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PopeOnDope

Registered
Two days ago was my first attempt at upgrading to a new processor. Needless to say, I guess it wasn't very positive.

It all started back i guess about a month ago when i realized I could probably push the 2600+ Mobile pretty far. Eventually I said, what the hell, i might as well go with taking the risk and upgrade this 1900+ AMD Palmino piece (lol only managed about a 5% overclock). I went with the 2600+ on newegg, got here pretty fast. I was really pretty happy when i got it. All of this was about to change...

I got a good friend to come over and help me install this. The first thing we noticed was that the AMD 'clip style' heat sinks were ****ing impossible to remove. For a good 30 minutes we ripped the **** out of this. Finally, it happend. The screw driver slipped off the piece of metal and on to my old reliable A7N266-C. I thought nothing of it really. Just a little scratch. Anways, back to the story. Fast forward about 20 more minutes... we're both about to give up... finally, on like the last shot I used of all tools, a frickin LETTER OPENER and the heat sink finally gave way. That was awesome. We removed the old CPU put in the 2600+ (applyed AS3 yadda yadda), and SOMEHOW manged to clip the sink back on. Everything was going great, then I booted up. NOTHING. the screen was an icy black. Motherboard was not beeping. Christ, I think that one scratch mustve damaged the mobo. We remove the 2600, reput the 1900 to see if its not the chip.. and... HOLY ****. The thing is ****ING BURNING. My room smelt like burning *** and rubber. GOD DAMNIT. The 1900 was charred black.

I bring this thing to a shop, I'm told the mobo is shot. It's old anyway, I guess it was bound to happen. However, now he's telling me that the 2600+ (FSB 266 M) is not booting on his K7 Triton. I'm fearing that something is wrong with the chip. However it showed no signs of any burns, scratches, etc.

He ordered a new chipset just to make sure its not the K7. Hopefully the 2600 is OK.

How royally screwed am I? :bang head

Thanks for listening if you made it this far :shrug:

probably. But then again, the 2600 was well attached. I think we did a good job of installing that. Plus, the chip had no signs of burns or scratches. The room didn't smell like *** after we ran it on that. Lol.

The 1900+ is another story. I'm sure once i upload the pic of that you'll all be very entertained.

if the cpu is burned up the scratch across the motherboard probably interferred with the cpu voltage and fried it. good luck :(

bad cpu contact shouldn't kill a cpu, it'll throttle and/or shut down before any damage is done (saved my m-2600+ a couple times)

I'm just praying that the 2600+ is ok.... If not ill have to go with a 2200+ TB, which is depressing. Comp USA doesn't carry any more socket A processors other than semprons :mad:
my 1900+ is dead for sure. That smell didn't come from a working CPU. Kentucky Fried Processor.

Back