• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is raid 0 worth it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok i am using a 80gb Seagate (in sig), and was wondering if Raid 0 was even worth it? I don't need the extra storage, as i am using at most 20 gigs. Is it worth the extra $80ish dollars to get another hard drive, or will i even notice a differance?

I don't game that much, and if i do its mostly HL2 or NBA Live. Just wondering what your opinions were on this subject.

Are you running SATA or PATA??? If you are running SATA, is it native?? What speed are those drives? How many PCI slots of yours are filled....??

Just need alittle more info to give my opinion....

SATA, and it's onboard (like 8 sata ports built into my board lol). They are 7200rpm drives. ATM i have nothing in my PCI slots, nor do i plan on putting anything in them since my waterpump blocks all of them. But i do use a PCI-E video card non SLI mode.

it only really increases performance, noticably, if you do a lot of big file work like with video editing, dvd ripping, etc. Search around a bit, there's a thread that links to a comparison of Raid0 vs single drives and things like game load times, 2 seconds really isn't that great of a boost. If you have older drives, though it doesn't look like it, it could help performance more.

On the other hand, I use RAID0 because I do move around a lot of big files and such, play large file games like BFV, Far Cry, etc. (though it really isn't that noticeable unless ur as impatient as I am). I would say it's definately the last thing to go after for pricevsperformance increases, the money can be better spent elsewhere. (I always buy drives in 2s and either run them in RAID1 or 0 depending on my planned useage for that period of time).

Essentially, do not waste ur money on another drive. If you already have a couple, sure. But remember, 2 drives in RAID0 doubles ur risk for failure because if 1 drive fails, ur SOL. any further Qs, PM me.

nicspits posted good advice too :thup:....but if you have been researching RAID at all, I'm assuming your definetly impatience enough that you will notice a difference.

Ok thanks Nicspits, that shed some light onto it. Might put my money somewhere else if all i am going to do is pick up a few seconds in load times. Don't really game much anyways, nor do i burn or edit or move any big files.

lol, nice slipviper. ;) definately, put it towards a nice LCD or maybe sell the drive you have, save $15 more bucks and get a Raptor2, than you'll be set for a good long time since u don't use that much space. (and when you end up using that much space, 300gb 7.2k drive should be cheap). enjoy ur saved dinero.

As you see in my sig I have two raptors in RAID 0. I play BF1942 DC mod and I spawn first most of the time,nice to grab what you want first.

Back