• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Linux for ICS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

I'm not sure if this should go here or in INaS, but it is more Linux related. I need to setup something similar to ICS, except the computer sharing the connection will be running Linux. I have ICS on Windows 98 doing this right now, but want to switch it. I know you use iptables and NAT, but I am clueless how to do this.
I can't use Smoothwall because of my network card. It is wireless and only supported by ndiswrapper, and Smoothwall does not come with a module for it, and I would also like to run a web server on the computer. I looked at Clark Connect, but it doesn't include gcc, so I can't compile ndiswrapper. I have tried the ICS provided by Mandrake, but I can't get it to work (and would prefer to use something not rpm based).
Does anybody know of a distro that can do this for me, or of a tutorial or something of how to do this in a regular distro, such as Arch?
Thanks

Okay, thanks. I didn't think about looking there. It says it is for a 2.4.x kernel, is it basically the same for the 2.6.x kernels?
Thanks

electrorcamd said:
Okay, thanks. I didn't think about looking there. It says it is for a 2.4.x kernel, is it basically the same for the 2.6.x kernels?
Thanks

I *think* so but not sure.

Yes it's the same for kernel 2.4 and kernel 2.6. Most distros nowadays have a package for it.
In Debian I do "apt-get install ipmasq dnsmasq" that's all. If I want to enable DHCP I need to edit a single config file. The NAT and caching DNS work out of the box.

I have another question. Is there a way that I can track the bandwidth that I am using, similar to the bandwidth bar mod for Smoothwall?

there are various ways: ipac-ng, the outpuf of /sbin/ifconfig, the syslog entry pppd gives out when it stops, etc.

I can't get iptables to work. I tried it in Arch Linux, my other computer got an IP address just fine, but couldn't surf the web. I tried it in Overclockix 3.7, I couldn't get the dhcp server to run because I couldn't change the config since it was being run on the cd. I tried it in Knoppix 3.8.1, dhcp worked fine, but I couldn't browse the web. I did everything it says to in that guide in the sticky, except replacing the addresses with mine. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I need to do after that?
Thanks

Bump, I still can't get it to work. I think I might be needing to set something else up or change the config somehow. I tried setting it up in Windows Server 2003 EE with routes and a dhcp server, but it didn't work. I could get dhcp, but I still couldn't browse the web or ping sites. Is there something else that ICS in Windows 98 includes that I am not setting up?

Back