• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 2003 CAL's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

They sell Windows Server 2003 along with the CAL's, if memory serves me correct... such as Windows Server 2003 w/ 5 CAL's (10, 25, etc). But what is a CAL? I know it's a license, that allows either a user account or device to connect to a server. But is it like a unique product key that gets assigned to that user or that device? Or does the installation of Server know that it can only accept either 10 users or 10 devices and does not allow any more connections?

Thanks, in advance, for your time and information.

It knows. If you have a server with 10 CAL, and try to connect PC 11, it will refuse the connection.

I don't think I've ever seen one refuse a connection, but it does log it to the Event log.

One thing to keep in mind is that web clients do not require a CAL to access the server.

Its more for record purposes. If a company gets audited by the IRS, they will look at software licences. If you have 10 CAL for a server that is being connected to by 100 users, they will get screwed. The logging that takes place is more for admin information purposes than a limiter.

Why the heck would the IRS check software licences? I don't remember seeing the Microsoft section on any tax forms. It is a compliance issue, but not with the federal government.

cw823 said:
It knows. If you have a server with 10 CAL, and try to connect PC 11, it will refuse the connection.

I don't think so. Usually it just pops up a message that says you exceeded your license. Doesnt stop anything from working. You can go into licensing and bump up the number of cals anytime you want. You can't change between client and device though. The whole licensing thing for server is crazy. Its made to work on the honor system and all loopholes are deemed illegal. For instance setting it to device mode and connecting unlimted clients.

It isn't the IRS, they only care if you tell them "I bought 100 CALs" and deducted the expense from your tax form, but in reality only bought 10. This is normal tax fraud.

The BSA however will check it and they also do audits.

I don't believe the BSA has any legal authority to audit businesses by force. I think the BSA pressures businesses to comply and gives discounts to large businesses that invite the audits but thats about it.

Ebola said:
I don't believe the BSA has any legal authority to audit businesses by force. I think the BSA pressures businesses to comply and gives discounts to large businesses that invite the audits but thats about it.
Yes

And with TS CALs connections WILL be refused if you dont have enough. Normal CALs are just for auditing purposes, it wont actually prevent connections. Anbother place where limited CALs will actually prevent things from functioning is in Small Business Server 2000/2003, the limitation is in exchange. You can actually create more than the user limit (50 user for 2k and 75 for 2k3) But exchange will not create mailboxes past that hard limit until you delete or disable accounts.

CAL apply to every device or user (depending on what your organization chooses) that is connecting to server. But TSCAls only apply to devices that do not have 2K or XP, correct?

Back