• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios flash gone wrong?? please help me!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonew0lf

Firstly i'm not sure if this belongs here or in storage section, if this is wrong could a mod move it?

Mobo: IC7-Max3, bios rev 1.7 all fine.

Flashed to 1.8, cleared cmos like instructions said, loaded bios defaults then booted up system.

Hour later (ok 15min) windows finally loaded, everything very slow - mouse pointer jumps around, constant disk thrashing etc...

Went back to bios, had a look around, reloaded fail safe defaults and tried again - no different.

Tried hdd benchmark and got a 25ms access time and <3MB transfer speed.

Reflashed bios back to 1.7 hoping that maybe the 1.8 bios was bad, but I still have the same problem.

drive is SATA150 connected to SATA1, IDE1 is empty. IDE2 has second drive which benchmarks fine.

I have no other sata drives or sata capable machines to test drive.

Somebody please help!!!

Ummm....I know some NF7 BIOSes that curropt SATA drives, that might be the case.
If you don't have anything vital on the drive you can try a format maybe.
Also look around the BIOS options, try re-detecting the drive trough BIOS.

Its starting to look like a corrupt hd now. Im going to try a format/reinstall

Each time I try to copy my data off of it to my other drive I get a 'Windows has detected a problem and has shut down...' message. Thats 30GB of downloads.

Also temps are way up as well - idle PWM is 48 and CPU 61. Case temp is still 29 though. :shrug:

Anyone got any ideas before I format??

HDD format and Windows install fixed problem.
Back to 120MB/s Burst, 45MB/s read and 16.9ms seek. Also 1% CPU usage as opposed to 45%.

Thanks Flip-Mode!

I eventually managed to copy all 30GB over to different drive.
30GB @ 2MB/s = a long time. like overnight!

Problems back, and formatting doesn't help this time!

I have been having problems with windows 'STOP' messages recently (now fixed) so i've been formatting and changing settings in the bios. I think that it started when i loaded fail safe defaults (optimised won't boot for some reason - it says its unable to find a bootable device).

I am almost 100% certain that this is a bios setting(s) causing this. The drive in a friends pc benchmarks fine (120MB/s)

The benchmarks that I am using are ATTO, HDTach and SciSoft Sandra, all show similar results.

Thanks again for any help!

I shall try that as soon as I got home!, I have 6 total, 4 of which are on a different controller.

Thanks!

Moved disc to the Silicone Image controller works fine now. Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks again for your help Flip-Mode :thup:

:clap:

Back