• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux gfx support for msi rs480m2-il mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drsomewhat

hey, anyone know if i could get a msi rs480m2-IL motherboard's onboard graphics to work under linux, and if so, how? i want to build a small computer and put gentoo on it - it'll be my first real linux system, and i dont have much experience with a complex installation process

thanks

Unless the board uses a chipset that isn't VESA compliant, you should be able to get the graphics to work, at least in framebuffer mode. Do you know what graphics chipset the board uses? For X, it should work with one of the standard modes, or there may be a driver designed for it.
Edit:
You might be able to find Linux drivers for X Windows on ATi's website (maybe just the Radeon ones).
Edit 2:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-40610.html

ATI's drivers may work. If they don't, a generic VESA driver will. I'm more concerned about chipset drivers, especially ide. It looks like it has the ATI SB400 south bridge, which I'm not sure is supported. You could try the ATI IXP ide driver and see if it works.

Back