• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual P3s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzba11

I was wondering how much it would cost me for a pair of P3s and a motherboard for it, since I'm getting sick of Athlons frying. At Pricewatch they say a P3 1GHz is $164, but that seems kinda steep...any suggestions?

That's as low as it goes my friend.

I have two dual boards, an Abit VP6 and and ECS D6VAA. The VP6 has 1 P3 @ 1125 in it and I'm getting a second 1GHz for it next month at a computer show. The D6VAA has a single P3 700 in it and I'm going to stick two new 1GHz P3s in it so I'm looking at buying 3 of those things.

I had planned on building another AMD system but decided against it to put the upgraded CPUs in the ECS system. I just don't have the room for ANOTHER PC at the moment as much as I'd like to build one.

The computer show is the last weekend of next month, so I'm hoping to see them drop a little by that time. At least in the $150 range. Still a big chunk of change when getting 3 at once.

Dual P3 s rock though. I did have the VP6 running with two for a while (don't ask what happened, long story) and loved it. Superfast. I've got an old P2 350 dually plugging away at SETI too.

It won't be cheap but if you decide to go for it, mark my words, you won't regret it at all. A VP6 or D6VAA (not quite as good for overclocking and no RAID, unless specified, but an excellent CHEAP [$69 shipped!] dually mobo) 2 P3 1GHz @ 1125 (or 1200+ which they can do but my RAID controller craps out) and 512MB of Crucial PC133 at CAS2 on a 150+MHz FSB will flat out chug.

If you go with the ECS board you could get by with around $420 after S&H. Tag another $50 for a VP6...maybe a few less.

Let us know what you decide.

That sounds about right for the 1Ghz CPU. They haven't really dropped in price here in Canada. But they're supposed to have dropped in the US already. Last time I checked (today) my cost on one was $300 (Canadian) even.

Ok, and is the 1 GHz a socket 370? Crap, just realized that I have DDR-RAM, too...grrr. I think I'll keep this as a last resort option, since it will cost me so much. :(

Thx for the responses, I'll decide on a system to possibly build with more advice and then maybe do that when I have the money.

It's a socket 370.

Don't think there are any dually DDR boards out there. As cheap as Crucial memory is right now, getting some PC133 won't dent your pocket too much. I just bought another 256MB stick for my VP6 and was only $32 and change (I pay CA tax on it). Free 2nd Day Air to boot.

I-Will has a dual P3, Socket 370, DDR board out. It's a pretty nice board, but the DDR isn't anywhere near optomized. It only runs about 5% faster than PC-133 on a P3.

So you can get the I-Will board so you can still run your DDR at nowhere near it's maximum capacity or you can get the VP-6 and spring for dirt cheap PC-133.

Back