• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Personal Taught on Windows XP X64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

Personal Taught on Windows XP X64

Windows XP 64bit is Microsoft version of Windows XP designed for the 64bit platform. Many different points’ shows that XP 64 designed mainly for the AMD 64bit, but there also some proof that Microsoft waited for Intel to finish up their processor design before they released it. Windows XP x64 is Windows 2003 made to look and feel like Windows XP. Windows 2003 has an improved core, and better memory management. The service pack 1 in Windows XP x64 also proves that XP is based on the Windows 2003, and Microsoft waited for the service pack 1 for Windows 2003 32bit to become final before they officially released Windows XP x64. Shortly after Windows XP x64 was released, Microsoft was easily able to release Windows 2003 Server edition x64.
Windows XP x64 seems a lot smoother and faster then Windows XP 32bit, but necessarily due to the fact, that the CPU is 64bit, but also thanks to the Windows 2003 kernel, and improved memory management. The boot time is also improved, takes 10-15seconds, to boot XP x64 installed on my old Quantum 10gig 7200rpm drive –imagine how a raptor would perform.
Things that are new or missing in Windows XP x64, noticed by me so far. The ennoying welcome screen is missing, you are no longer forced to create user profiles, and you can login directly with the administrator account (this may have solved a security issue, on many machines, the administrator account wasn’t password protected, and hackers were able to easily connect to your box). Many of the popup, balloon tips aren’t there anymore, the only thing that gets on my nerves, like it did in the Windows XP 32bit, is the security center (but this can be easily disabled, by disabling the security center service).
When it comes to application compability, there is no sure way of telling if the application will work or not. So far all of the applications have installed perfectly fine. Windows doesn’t give any errors if an application won’t work in the 64bit environment. The application will simply install, and then may not function properly, or be fully integrated into windows. For example, in installed winrar, in my Windows XP 32bit box, I can easily right click on any compressed achieve and press decompress, or click on a folder and select compress. The options is simply missing, winrar still functions as a archiever, but isn’t fully integrated into Windows yet. Daemon tools is the only application out 20 applications, that fails to even install on Windows XP 64bit, I am guessing this is mainly due to the virtual scsi driver daemon tool uses. Speedfan is a good example of an application that looks it will work on x64, but doesn’t. Speedfan installs perfectly on x64, but then crashes, and won’t even run for the first time when turned on. Winamp works fine, except the cd ripping options don’t work. CPUZ works perfectly – thanks god. Most windows based overclocking applications, don’t fully work, or they work in a weird way.
Drivers, is one of the biggest down falls in Windows XP x64. Old 32bit drivers, simply wont work. Not even drivers, which can be installed by simply using the .inf file. Most of the big companies like Nvidia, Ati have fully working drivers for X64. One of the biggest disappointments in Windows XP x64, is that is doesn’t come with any network card drivers. The thing I loved about Windows XP, was that when I had a older computer, I didn’t have to look for drivers all over the internet, they were simply auto installed. The reason I may ask for a simple, or even a generic driver, that particily works with my network card, is that, I don’t always have a second computer handy, to download and burn drivers, for my newly build system. I usually install the network card in my XP box (the network is already installed by the drivers found in Windows XP) and then connect to Internet and download the latest drivers for my hardware – this simply cannot be done in Windows XP x64, as it doesn’t come with any drivers. My Geforce 2 mx card, which was seen by windows XP 32bit as a Geforce 2 card, is now seen as a standard vga card. This may be enjoying, because you cannot change the resolution, to be able to browse the web to get drivers, and some websites may not work too well with 4bit color. I have tested the same hardware, on a XP 32bit machine, and XP installed the drivers for them automatically, this hardware, simply wasn’t auto installed in Windows XP x64. I have tried a 3com 10/100mbit card, my Asus geforce 2 mx video card, and a old S3 video card, (which for a fact I know XP 32bit installs the drivers for me automatically, because I use this card, on testing several systems). You can almost be guaranteed that older hardware will not work in Windows Xp x64. What concerns me the most for those of us using, dialup, most 56k modems will not have drivers for Windows XP x64. Windows XP x64 makes me feel like I was installing Windows 95 or 98 which had nearly no drivers for newer hardware.
What I like about Windows XP x64
• Finally I can take full advantage of my Amd 64 cpu
• Based on a Windows 2003 kernel (even on my old 32bit platform, I was able to feel that Windows 2003 was faster, and smoother then XP on the same exact configuration
• Thank you Microsoft for trimming down the fat in Windows XP x64, even tho I still wish I could tell the security center to shutup once, instead of bugging me every 5minutes
• Fast boot times (this may only be for now)
• Stuff like DEP works, system restore is still there

CONS
• Some things about Windows XP x64 make you see how much Microsoft rushed this release out the door.
• Absolutely no drivers, or generic drivers are integrated (I really wish that Microsoft will integrated more drivers to Windows XP x64 in service pack 2)
• There’s no way to tell if software works in X64, unless you verify a capability still online. (In windows XP 32bit, it will give you a error message right away)
• I really wish Microsoft took advantage of some sort of 32bit application emulator.
• Why is there two program files folder in my root drive (why didn’t they put them in one single folder) makes my drive look dirty.

Please take into mind these are purely my believe. And everything in this Windows XP x64 look is purely my taught. I still didn’t get a chance to see all the changes, but soon I will see more and more, and keep this post updated. Also please ignore my grammar and spelling errors, I am simply an amateur.

Here are some XP x64 screenshots

Edit Thanks god Mozilla works perfectly fine, its funny to say applications developted by Microsoft dont work, like the powertoys, I get the exact same error as on a Windows 2003 32bit box, Service pack 2 is required before you may install this application.
Thanks

Attachments

• Internetexplorertwice.jpg
    Internetexplorertwice.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Missingextractwith.jpg
    Missingextractwith.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Programfilestwice.jpg
    Programfilestwice.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Winxpdesktop.jpg
    Winxpdesktop.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 120
Its not a case that they waited for 2003 sp1 to be released, xp 64 is 2003 sp1 (64) with the additional multimedia support and the luna interface. You can see this in the build numbers. Both are build 1830. There was no differentiation between the 2 products during the developement cycle.

As for drivers, that isn't M$'s fault. They don't build the drivers, the manufacturers do. Yell at them for not putting out in a timely fashion.

32 bit emulation is built into the OS. Unfortunately, just like 'compatibility mode' in winxp, it isn't always compatible.

Personally, I'm saving my whining for longhorn. It appears that its going to be the real nightmare os. The list of features keeps getting shorter and shorter. By the time it reaches release candidate, it may not be much different than win xp 64

Flip-Mode said:
Thanks for the post, will make me think twice about installing it when I get a A64.
I am not saying, not its time to install it. But for more then 70% of drivers, software, I use should be fine. But I like the smoothness of it. And I am sure in a few months or even less, companies will fix their problems and be x64 ready.
Thanks

most companies simply arent doing alot on the whole 64bit thing (or releasing alot) due to the fact that XP x64 isnt out yet, i bet that once it releases you'll see a surge in 64bit drivers.

i believe alot of it has to do with the length of time it took intel to pop out some 64bit procs as much as i love amd for near future intel is still the driving force when it comes to this sort of thing and now that intel's stepped onto the wagon things should look up.

apu318 said:
Also, Microsoft probably hasn't bothered to include their unessential driver database. When it is released you'll see that your hardware will have drivers ready to install for it.
I am really disappointed. After a few days of testing I am realzing that even official nvidia x64 drivers dont work well.
Thanks

NTX-Zoner said:
Personally, I'm saving my whining for longhorn. It appears that its going to be the real nightmare os. The list of features keeps getting shorter and shorter. By the time it reaches release candidate, it may not be much different than win xp 64

I think Longhorn will make the 32-64 bit transition as smooth as XP32 did with drivers. MS is putting a lot of focus into the drivers for longhorn. If you watch the winhec video on bill's webcast page you'll see how much focus is getting put into that area. I think Bill mentioned driver compatibility about 50 times in his keynote.

Longhorn has enough features to keep me interested. Better security, the new avalon engine, better use of memory, and the new search system. 64 bit should be running smoothly on windows by that time as well.

I don't think xp 64 and 2003 64 will be the best but they will lead the way for transitioning to longhorn. Its leadtime for developers.

Ebola said:
I think Longhorn will make the 32-64 bit transition as smooth as XP32 did with drivers. MS is putting a lot of focus into the drivers for longhorn. If you watch the winhec video on bill's webcast page you'll see how much focus is getting put into that area. I think Bill mentioned driver compatibility about 50 times in his keynote.

Longhorn has enough features to keep me interested. Better security, the new avalon engine, better use of memory, and the new search system. 64 bit should be running smoothly on windows by that time as well.

I don't think xp 64 and 2003 64 will be the best but they will lead the way for transitioning to longhorn. Its leadtime for developers.
You are totally correct. Where can I see the videos.
Thanks

darkknight187 said:
most companies simply arent doing alot on the whole 64bit thing (or releasing alot) due to the fact that XP x64 isnt out yet, i bet that once it releases you'll see a surge in 64bit drivers.

i believe alot of it has to do with the length of time it took intel to pop out some 64bit procs as much as i love amd for near future intel is still the driving force when it comes to this sort of thing and now that intel's stepped onto the wagon things should look up.

XP 64 has been released......??

and Microsoft if anyting LOST potential money waiting for intel - MS could of released this back then - if it was ready - it wasnt. AMD has had 64bit for almost 2 years now.

Back