• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what was the fastest s7 chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

What was the fastest (non super socket 7) socket 7 chip (and don't say a K6-2+ running on a modded socket 7 board). I mean chips made for the regular socke 7 platform. Was it the K6 or those Cyrix/IBM 586MX chips (they beat pentium MMXs by quite a way).

i would think the Pentium MMX 233mhz
i had a cyrix300, and my friend had a MMX 233mhz, and it was WAY faster then my cyrix
i had 128mb ram too.. he had 64... :-/

AMD K6-3 @ 550MHz on the Super socket 7 (very few sold)

Intel Pentium MMX @ 266MHz (very few sold)

R

Yeah the K6-2 got quite high...i think i have seen even 600Mhz ones.

Overclocked a 500Mhz one to 650+ in the previous age. :santa:

hmm... there was a 570Mhz (and maybe a 580Mhz) K6-2+ on super socket 7 though I'm told that very few ES were made, don't know about 600Mhz.
didn't know about the 266 P-MMX, thanks.

>HyperlogiK< said:
What was the fastest (non super socket 7) socket 7 chip (and don't say a K6-2+ running on a modded socket 7 board). I mean chips made for the regular socke 7 platform. Was it the K6 or those Cyrix/IBM 586MX chips (they beat pentium MMXs by quite a way).

AFAIK, the K6-300 MHz proc was the fastest regular socket 7/66MHz processor that was made. I think anything made faster than that used a higher bus speed, which the old Intel chipsets couldn't handle.

muddocktor said:
AFAIK, the K6-300 MHz proc was the fastest regular socket 7/66MHz processor that was made. I think anything made faster than that used a higher bus speed, which the old Intel chipsets couldn't handle.

Thats why there was super socket 7 which could handle 100 FSB (or was it 83) IIRC

Gnufsh said:
Super Socket 7 was 100MHz. Some Socket 7 boards could be overclocked to have an 83Hz FSB.

Yeah, but it put the pci bus way out of spec and a lot of pci cards and ide hard drives couldn't handle it. 75 MHz fsb was very doable though. :)

I never had a problem running Cyrix chips at 83mhz fsb. The K6 chips were pretty good for their time.

I even had a 150Mhz, "Media GX" Cyrix chip/board. It was the first onboard processor/gpu that I know of. In fact the Via C3 chips are from that technology.

Last edited:
Most 266mmx's made it to the notebook market. This also applied to the K6-3 500/550's. Very few went retail. I had never had to my sight any retail of either although some have said they have.

In University we had Seanix 266mmx's in the multi-media lab so it is certain that they did go to desktop on the socket 7 platform.

R

Last edited:
Hmm! I should go see my friend and tell him about that thread - he has like about 8 old computers with PI and PII cpus, I'm sure I saw one 166 MHz and one MMX PII computer in there. I might even get to learn a few things by running them with my friend at his place. :p

Back