• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to drill a hole in your heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stupidspoons

Registered
Does anyone know if there is a site or a Tutorial that shows you how to drill a hole in your heatsink and put it on your video card and use it as a heatsink? because i really want to do that because i have alot of old heatsinks laying around that would be alot better then my stock fan rite now.

well modding section might have it! I would use a 4/40 tap to thread the holes. but look at the stickies in the alt mod section.

Use is drill press if you have one. Or just hold the drill stead. I would start with a smaller size and use it as a pilot hole. Take an old crappy heatsink and just practice.

Center punch where you want to drill the holes, and then drill them out.

Tap them if you want, or use bolts with nuts. Its up to you.

make sure that you take your time. If you are drilling into a copper heatsink GO SLOW. They will snap your bits very easily otherwise. I used an AMD copper heatsink for my 9700 pro. I drilled a few holes and useda 4/40 tap. just have more patience then me cuz i broke about 3 drill bits and a tap cuz the copper was to much for them.

Also, make sure you get everything lined up correctly ;) Like fishy mentioned, use a center punch while having somebody else hold the card in position over the HS. I tried measuring the distance and angles, and it truly looks like a ghettomod *doh!* (though it does barely fit :D)

EDIT: And be sure to post your modded card here! :) Always good to see a card with something else's HS on it :cool:

JigPu

JigPu said:
Also, make sure you get everything lined up correctly ;) Like fishy mentioned, use a center punch while having somebody else hold the card in position over the HS. I tried measuring the distance and angles, and it truly looks like a ghettomod *doh!* (though it does barely fit :D)

JigPu

A paper tempate works wonders.

Good advice here as usual. :)

Copper has high ductility so it's not like drilling steel. Cutting fluids with
high lubricity should be avoided.

BTW ... the proper tap/drill size for 4-40 thread = #40 drill.

Back