• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

350W Power supply enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmokinR6

I will be putting a system together in about a week...I currently have a 350w PS. The system specs are
MSI K8T
Athlon 64 3200
5900 Ultra 256mb
120GB Maxtor
40GB Seagate
4 80mm case fans(2 intake--2 Exhaust)
1GB corsair Ram(single stick)

I think I need a bigger PS....am I correct?
Thanks
BT

more than not you dont have enough power, a good brand that will perform what it says, will need around 12v 20a and 3.3v 28a or so

i run a 350 antec and it wasnt enough on my barton system. Now on my A64 system with same hardware its still not enough, i run a sererate psu for the vid card and now its fine.

Well I think it will probably boot and run.. but I'd want something a bit more substantial.

Most likely not. That must be a killer 350w PSU if it can run that system 100% stable.

Not necessarily

A good psu will run that... but even a pretty hardened one has a good possibility of just crapping out in a relatively short amount of time..

Thanks for the replies guys....But Im sure it will not run the new system The model is
AstecATX250....Only 250W My god I don't even see how it is running what it's in now.
I will just get a new psu 500W. Thanks.

SmokinR6 said:
Thanks for the replies guys....But Im sure it will not run the new system The model is
AstecATX250....Only 250W My god I don't even see how it is running what it's in now.
I will just get a new psu 500W. Thanks.
make sure you get a good brand name. i have a 480w noname and it's crap !!! my 480w Antec is great, and its cheap !

SmokinR6 said:
but does it have L33t blue led's J/K Thanks BR Ill price one out.
Thanks
BT
hey NP. the true *blue* version with the pretty LED's has less amps on the 12v i believe, atleast thats what i remeber from when i was looking for a replacement. oh and if you can find a Fortron 520 i think i read they where well priced and highly recommended. it boils down to best price for the most 12v amps imho ;)

Look for Dual 12Vs for that A64, If you later upgrade the NV5900 to a NV6800 you'll need the power there. All the forum talks about MOSFETS has to do with the fact the 12V rails are being used as the power source for the 1.5V used by the processor. When these CPUs open up on Halflife and RCT3, they demand a lot of power quickly any lag ang you see the BSOD. You should also consider the power supplies that have PFC (power-factor-correction) Fortron,CoolerMaster,OCZ and PCPower&Cooling are very good to best PSUs. I had the Enermax 350 on this P4 and the 12V sagged considerably but because it is a good PSU I only saw a few crashes before OCing. The CoolerMaster is much tighter on the 12V rails and OCs well. The Emax 350 is now on the AMD since that MSI board is using onboard video, 1 optical and 2 HDs. When I drop in a new PCI-E card, I'll have to get a bigger PSU with PFC.

Even a solid 350w would run that. An Antec SL350 is running my system in my sig until my Fortron 400w Bluestorm comes back from RMA and it is completely stable.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is a decent brand. Stay away from PowMax. If any doubt, post here asking for advice on the unit you decide on.

Dont go dual rails, not on a AMD system, the A-64 seem to do the best on single 12v rail PSU systems

P.S.
SmokinR6
its about time you updated that sig of yours with your new toy :D :beer:

Unless you get a dual rail PSU with tons of amperage per rail ;)

I just got a 500w Fortron Blue Storm for my AMD64 system. Check cyber deals, there's a company out there selling it for 69 shipped or something ridiculous like that. I got mine at ewiz.com for 87 shipped, as the other site (Actbuy.com) didn't seem to have any sort of encryption on their checkout page :/

[T-A]_Super_10 said:
Dont go dual rails, not on a AMD system, the A-64 seem to do the best on single 12v rail PSU systems

P.S.
SmokinR6
its about time you updated that sig of yours with your new toy :D :beer:

Roger That....Im just waiting until I have it together.
Besides LMAO that system in the sig is killer huh. :cool:

Back