• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KDE 3.4 & amaroK question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

Simple question, but I don't know what's going on.

If I'm using KDE 3.4 right now...

and I emerge amarok...

... why is it emerging kde-base-3.3.2-r2? Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to linux, so pardon me if I missed something obvious..

The amarok package might not have been updated, and so doesn't recognize that kde-3.4 will work instead of 3.3. You might try pretending the ebuild, looking at the packages it depends on, and compiling those except for kde-base. Then you can emerge amarok with the --nodeps option.
It might also be that kde-base was compiled as a dependency of something else, and so wasn't added to the world file.
Edit: Have you run emerge sync recently? I just did emerge --pretend amarok and kde-base wasn't listed as a dependency. I don't have KDE installed at all; one of the dependencies was kde-libs-3.4-r2 though.

Thanks for the reply.

If I emerge --pretend amarok:
Code:
These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdebase-3.3.2-r2
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.3.2
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/amarok-1.2.1

Yes, I ran emerge --sync right before I emerged amarok. =\ Very strange that it would emerge an earlier version of KDE... I cancelled out of the KDE 3.3.2 install, just in case something terrible were to happen.

My computer would install 1.2.3, so they might have changed the dependencies between the 2 versions, especially if 1.2.1 was released before KDE 3.4.0 was unmasked. I have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" even though it is not recommended, so I use testing/masked packages by default; that is why I would be using 1.2.3 instead of 1.2.1.

If you have the kdebase and kdemultimedia packages installed, I would think it would be fine to run emerge --nodeps amarok, but I'm not really sure.

You aren't supposed to change that, at least not in /etc/make.conf. It gives you the testing versions of all packages, and so is not recommended. It also can mess up your system if you switch between the testing and nontesting versions after installing. I would take the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS line out, and just add this to /etc/portage/package.unmask:
=media/sound/amarok-1.2.3
That way it only uses that specific package and doesn't mess with the rest of your system.

Back