• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newb needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoomzoom

Registered
hi all

At the moment we have home network set up like this cable modem is plugged into my pc. Then we have crossover going into hub and into second pc( note my pc has to be always on for this to work) Ok now heres the thing mum just bought a laptop with wireless and wants to get onto the network to scab the internet. She is looking at buying a wireless hub something like this http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=316 , Thats the dlink 524 for anyone who knows it . how do i go about setting it up can u pls tell me what cables i need eg. crossover or straight and how to get it all working. Thanks heaps for any help u can give.

straight cables from the router to the computers
straight cable from the router's WAN/Internet port to the modem.

I would suggest getting a wireless router, I have a linksys. Then just run straight cables to the PC's and then you dont have to have your comp on all the time. Then your mom can use the wireless anytime too. Just plug the cable modem into the router.

BTW, Having wireless for the laptops is awsome!

Back