• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon CPU unlocking multiplier with conductive pen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nekrozon

I heard the only way to unlock the multiplier of a socket A Athlon cpu i by using a conductive pen to connect the pairs of L1 trace routes. IS this true?
-nekrozon

Yes it's true, your not dreaming, it's working like a charm for me, i just recently used a .5mm mecanical pencil as my tool, and i had a 1Ghz T-bird wunnich rock solid at 1.1Ghz

I tried the conductive pen and it was a huge mistake!!!! The 99cent #2 pencil has worked flawlessly for me - it is easier to separate amoung the bridges and is less permanent and has held up better for me!!!

So using a pencil or a conductive pen is better at doing the job?

ps. Most of the people I know use pencil. Conductive pens a not easily available.

The way I did was pretty easy just put something in-between the bridges when you do it. I used my blockbuster video card worked swell.

I used the famous scotch tape-rear defogger kit method.

Masking out 3 of the L1 bridges with scotch tape then adding a small blob of defogger kit to the unmasked bridge.

Let it dry and then continue with the others.

Works well. :)

I used a conductive ink pen. I never had the pencil trick work for me & the L1 Bridges being as important as they are I wouldn't trust pencil lead for it. Certain MoBos want a strong & clean signal thru the bridges that a pencil will not be able to deliver. The pens are also not available in my area so I had to special order them.

Ive always used pencil lead for unlocking. then again, ive had it wear off a few times which kinda sucks when you wanna fool around with speed and it wont work. thought my comp was dying once from that hehe.

conductive pen is the best cuz you can always remove it adn it is on there unless you want to remove it. the defogger is on there for life and pencil trick last long but not forever especially if you take the hsf off every couple of days. try a toothpick with teh conductive pen takes 30seconds if you don't get nervous. :)

Back