• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Early Warning on Timless WUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

At the current rate of assignment, the deadlinless WUs (Timeless Tinkers) will be depleted very soon. If you have a rig set to client type 2 (Genome @ Home), it will quit folding when the server .112 runs out of WUs and wait for more WUs to be loaded on the server by Stanford. I'm seeing several of my big packet rigs assigned TTs so they're going to go very fast (3 per day instead of one every three days on a slow machine). 1 month ago there were 27,000+ on server .112 now there are less than 2000. If you have a rig set to client type 2, that will meet the deadlines, you may want to consider reconfiguring it in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

If you haven't set the client type to 2 or in the graphical client specified Genome at home you have nothing to worry about. Perhaps there is nothing to worry about anyway, Stanford may reassign client type 2 to a different server. I've got 8 rigs (<=700 MHz) configred to run Timeless Tinkers so I keep an eye on them.

hmm... i've got a pIII 450 that is assigned to normal WU's... sure, it takes 4 or 5 days per WU, but it gets them done ahead of schedule.

I was always curious about what the timeless WUs were for. I thought they might be old research that just needed t's crossed and i's dotted.

I have a Celeron 466 running FAH Console v. 4 with Genome@Home (it's Win 98, so there is no version 5 client unless I use firedaemon). Hopefully they reassign them. It hasn't gotten any g@h projects yet because I changed it after it got a normal wu.

My computer running Genome@Home can't get a wu now. The server status says there are 234 units remaining, but it keeps saying it can't connect. Looks like I may have to switch it to normal F@H and hope it gets a small Tinker or something, because otherwise it won't be able to finish it in time (it's now a Pentium w/MMX 200 @ 250).

I changed mine over as well after it tried about 10 times to get one. Now it has had a BBA5_pf for several hours and hasn't even completed one frame. There are 814 available on the server now.

i still haven't quite figured out how to set it to G@H... i'm going to soon have access (through fellow member King_Warg) to a huge farm of slower compies... and we know that G@H is a lot better to do on slower machines. All of the likely candidates will be 400Mhz and under with less than 64Mbs of Ram.

For the 5.0x console client, when you go to config it, say yes to advanced options, and I believe it is the option of 'request wus without deadlines' that will get you timeless wus. In the version 4 client, say yes to advanced options, and put gah for the client type in the config. I think you can also change the client.cfg file to get them. In the section labeled [clienttype], there is a line that says type=1. Change the 1 to a 2 and you should get the timeless wus.

Back