• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone killed video card from overclocking???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kooga_magnum

Just wondering has anyone ever killed a card from JUST overclocking, not replacing the stock heatsink or anything like that, I am curious as to the story behind it, I am taking this into consideration when overclocking my card, thanks for any stories you can give.

haha then why would you respond? im just looking for people that have done it so i can learn from experience, thanks for posting though

I have never killed one, I have overclocked one so much that it locked up and wouldn't do anything until I went into safemode using the onboard video and restored the defaults on it (this was a GeForce 2 MX), but it worked fine after I restored the defaults, then I just added more cooling and went back to overclocking.

I had a generic offbrand crappy geforce2 mx die on me back in the day, but it didn't have a fan on it and was made of inferior parts anyway.

As for good cards dieing, the only video card I have ever had die on me was a 9100, and it only semi-died. The card works fine but it has to be inserted very exactly into the agp slot, and any small bump will make the screen artifact. It has no physical defects, so I don't know what causes this.

Outright death from overclocking? Nope.

I know someone that looped 3dmark 2k1 for a few hours while he was at work.
He had his 9600XT clocked to 600 on the core and I forget the mem speed but when he came home the card was fried.No volt mod either.I think he even had a silencer on it in a well cooled case too.

Remember, overclocking doesn't kill hardware ;). Excessive heat, or prolonged exposure to excessive heat kills hardware - of course increased heat is a direct symptom of overclocking :).

I know someone that looped 3dmark 2k1 for a few hours while he was at work.
He had his 9600XT clocked to 600 on the core and I forget the mem speed but when he came home the card was fried.No volt mod either.I think he even had a silencer on it in a well cooled case too.

The card's core probabaly overheated, started artifacting without anyone around to see it and turn the machine off, and eventually fried from being run too hot for too long :-/. That sucks.

Last edited:
I killed a FX5600. I think I pushed the core too high.I put AS5 on the GPU and ram, put heatsinks on the Ram.Tested and kept pushing higher and higher until I got artifacts. It locked up in a benchmark, I rebooted. beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. no picture. rebooted. beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. no picture. reseated card. rebooted. beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Bought an 6200.

threeme2189 said:
out of interest...why do you ask?
do you want to overclock youre card and see if many people have fried theirs by doing that?

Yeah ive been overclocking my x800 pro pretty high and its been running very cool and stable, Its kind of a long story why im concerned, I killed a radeon 9800 pro that i flashed to an XT a while ago, I dont know what happened, if you email me or message me sometime i can tell ya the detailed story

if its a good brand x800 it should be very hard to fry it by just overclocking.

iv had a few cards die, but afaik that was from a faulty psu that I had
iv got several cards that have been running overclocked and softmodded/flashed for years without any issues ;)

id have to agree with herron they are almost impossible to fry if you haev a good cooling system.

Running the core at nearly 600Mhz on a 5900XT fried it for me while running 3dmark05. It had a zalman heatpipe on it and a v-core and v-mem mod. If you are stock, it is impossible to fry.

Not here. I overclock every card i have owned. The card will artifact and hardlock before it'll die.

nearly, tho from volt modding......pumped 3v into mem chips that take 1.8v...accidentally tho, while fiddling wiht my multimetre.

btw....that 96xt that was fried....i'm betting on the capacitators. i got a DIY heatsink on my 9550 (running at 1.75v), load temp never goes over 40c....same with memory, got some massive heatsinks on em.

which makes my capacitators the hottest.....i believe they are at about 50/60c when looping 3dmark03.

It will happen if you overvolt it too much... Otherwise, you will be fine 99% of the time.. As others have said it will artifact before anything else. Just keep it sane.

On a side note:
Can overclocking your video card (on stock voltage) with decent cooling decrease its life?

I'm worried about overclocking my FX5700LE, its got to last at least a year or two more.

Back