• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flatbed scanner used as a barcode scanner??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarod

hi, i'm wondering if i could images i get from my flatbed scanner (or i could use a digital camera) in jpeg or gif or some other format, and decode the barcodes that i scan into ascii format, if there is free software that does this i'd be great, if theres pay software then tell me anyway, i'd prefer free though, i've been searching the net for a while and can't find anything like this, suggestions welcome.

what about the "cuecat"?? what kind of software would i need to have to use this thing??

*bump*... how about a normal scanner, just the handheld unit, the wires and such, for a ps/2 port, would i just plug it into my ps2 port, and the keyboard behind it?? i may find out soon anyway.

Jarod said:
what about the "cuecat"?? what kind of software would i need to have to use this thing??
yup.

I think there are also alot of open source projects. they are ~10 bucks on ebay.

I would get one of those.

and make sure you neuter it.

a wedge scanner would work perfectly. It plugs in just as you say, plugs into the ps2 port with a pigtail for the keyboard to plug into. It decodes barcodes and spits them into any text based field. You should be able to find wedge scanners on ebay a dime a dozen and pretty cheap.

J.

*edit*

I have a symbol (brandname) wedge scanner that is plug and play USB. no additional drivers required for win2k ord XP. Very nifty scanner. I use it for scanning serial number barcodes into text to help track hardware in the field.
If you can find one that's true plug and play that would be best. I just remembered also about that cuecat. Man that thing really is a POS. See if you can find a cheap used wedge scanner. Laser would be best but LED is ok too. That cuecat thing is a real pain in the rear.

ok, i bought a bunch of... yes you guessed it, symbol scanners, i'm not sure if they're usb or not, it came with 2 "omnilinks" what do they do??
and:
Three model LS-3000-1000R scanners
One LS 8100 II scanner
they are older scanners but if they work, then they'll do all i want to use them for.

Back