• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How restrictive is this setup??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GM1010

I'm putting together a new setup and I'm not sure if my pump is up to the task. Right now this is the setup:

Quiet One 1200 (equivalent flow and head to an Eheim 1250)
Whitewater
Maze4 GPU
Single 120mm Core
~4' of 1/2" tubing with T line

I am pretty happy with the temps i'm getting from this setup. Except soon I'm adding 2 of THESE and replacing the single 120mm core with 2 dual 120mm cores (similar to Bonnevilles). I will also be using a custom resevoir, a ~4" diameter by 6" tall cylinder.

How much of a flow hit will I take by adding these things? Will I see a drastic temp difference? I was looking into a Mag3 possibly but I'm unsure if it's worth it. I'd really prefer not to buy a new pump, unless this one really won't cut it. Any thoughts?

it shouldnt kill flow that much and you pump is quite nice, it should cut it but a pump with more pressure would help

well, you're going to take a flowrate hit for sure with all those square tubes and larger radiator, thats a pretty significant pressure drop addition. However, you're going to a larger radiator as well which actually helps heat transfer and lowers your temps. So you're loosing some flow but getting better heat transfer. Its impossible to truly predict what will happen for your setup, unless you have a PhD in thermo and fluid dynamics ;). In my rather extensive oppinion and experience with watercooling I'd have to say you'll probably see a temperature difference of no more than plus or minus 2C. My suggestion is to give it a try before you get a new pump. Either it works great and you dont feel the need to get a higher head pump, or it works mediocre and you deal with slightly warmer temps for a week or two till you can get a new pump.

Edit: either way, when shopping for a new pump, try to look for one with around 10 feet of head minimum

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just use it and see how bad it is, I just don't feel like redoing everything should I need a new pump. You're right though Craptacular, I forgot about the temp difference with the new rads, so it shouldn't be too bad.

The point of cooling the HD's is because I'm trying to get it as quiet as possible, so they'll be buried in foam.

IrishAssassin said:
Just a question, what is the point of water cooling a hard drive ? It's not like you can overclock it or anything...

You can't overclock them, but depending on the setup, you can overheat them. For the vast majority of people there is no reason to water cool hard drives, but every now and then someone has a setup where it would be a benefit.

GM1010 said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just use it and see how bad it is, I just don't feel like redoing everything should I need a new pump. You're right though Craptacular, I forgot about the temp difference with the new rads, so it shouldn't be too bad.

The point of cooling the HD's is because I'm trying to get it as quiet as possible, so they'll be buried in foam.

i love the foam idea i hate loud HDDs :bang head

Honestly, I think that hard drive coolers will hurt your flow a fair amount. This makes a difference when you're using a block like your WW that's dependent on high flow to perform. The hard drive blocks have a couple of sharp turns that will take down flow a notch, and you don't have a lot of pressure if your pump only does ~6.5ft of head. If you do need to add those blocks to your setup, run them in parallel.

Hmm now you have me doubting it again lol. What to do, what to do...

You can get them cheaper here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2444&osCsid=ab8eacb42ea550a18cc3ee943450143f

I have two of these for my two hard drives. I ran them in parallel with a y adapter in and out. I also took off the barbs that join the two halves and replaced them with 3/8" brass ones from Lowe's with 3/8" hose. The ones that come with it are only 5/16" and the hose that joins that two halves is kind of thin. I am very pleased so far with them. I have had them for about 3 months, and my hard drive temps dropped about 7c (using everest@home) vs having a case intake fan blowing directly on them. The anodization seems to be good as I have so far not seen any corrosion issues.

I have had I don't know how many people tell me on the forums that these are a waste of time, blah blah blah, but i am pleased with them and they are obviously working as my drives are definitely cooler with them. I would recommend running two of them in parallel.

Im surprised everyone said to keep your pump? When I asked about the quiet one pumps a while ago they got shot down pretty quickly. But hey if it works who cares =)

jamesavery22 said:
Im surprised everyone said to keep your pump? When I asked about the quiet one pumps a while ago they got shot down pretty quickly. But hey if it works who cares =)

The pump may, or may not, be sufficient, but since he already owns it there's no good reason to not try it and see if it works. He can always buy another one later...

MVC said:
The pump may, or may not, be sufficient, but since he already owns it there's no good reason to not try it and see if it works. He can always buy another one later...

Wasnt meaning the specs were bad. Meant that people said it was subpar in terms of noise and reliability. But yeah if its been working so far and it doesnt bother him, no need to replace it.

voigts: Thanks for the link, but I already have the ones I got from Sidewinder. I'd like to run them in parallel, but I don't know if I have the room for the y-connectors. As long as it keeps them under 45deg or so, then it doesn't matter too much to me. Like I said, I'm more worried about getting rid of all the noise I can.

jamesavery22: The QuietOne isn't a bad pump really. I haven't had too much of a problem with it. Sometimes it shuts off for no apparent reason, but that could be the relay or something else. It's somewhat quiet once you get all of the air out of it too. The selling point is really the price. But you're right, not too many will be quick to recommend it. If I had to do it again, I'm not sure if I'd pick it. Maybe a Mag3 instead.

Didn't know you already had them. You can run them in series if you have to, but even in my midtower case I managed to get them in parallel. I just used short pieces of tubing between the y connectors and the blocks and clamped them down good. You can also make one side of the y longer or shorter to angle the y up or down to fit better.

desktop.jpg

Hmm, I'll see if I can get it to work if it's going to help.

it will help your flow because the hose connecting the two halves is only 5/16" ID. If you run them in parallel, the flow is split between the two and effectively gives you 5/16" + 5/16" of opening which doesn't hurt flow nearly as much (the 90 degree tight bends will of course cause some slowing down of the water). I'm with you on one point for sure: the less fans, the better.

Back