• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocz 600 or seasonic 600 as my new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seasonic is a good PSU but I like OCZ PowerStream with adjustable rails if you ever need it and I think it costs more too, either one would serve you well on any SLI system

The powerstream 600w is just plain overpriced. A more reasonable price would be $170 or so. 80 more watts costs you $80 more than a powerstream 520w. Thats 1$ a watt. Way too much.

The OCZ units are already more expensive than I believe they could be, but I definitely agree about the overpricing on the 600w. I have still not completely added that model to my recommendations because of it. Last time I checked, the OCZ 600w up here could be found at most places for around $250, while a corresponding Topower P6 600w unit (except no external pots and shorter warranty) can be had under $160. The prices need to come down IMO.

That said, Seasonic is also priced a little higher than I like to see. In comparing the two, OCZ will have the advantage for features and warranty. Seasonic will have the edge for efficiency, build quality, and silence. When considering PSU's at these price levels however, it also pays to consider the PC P&C 510w models.

why not the 520w powerstream? its good for every modern day rig you can throw at it apart from a top end sli rig afaik - no need to spend the extra $$ on a few more watts.

Outa interest, in your sig meionm youve got some nice hardware listed, but you dont say what graphics card/s you have :confused:

OCZ PowerStream 520W is 20pin PSU which you can use 20-pin to 24-pin adapter but some people preferred 24-pin PSU for better Wire Management, also OCZ PowerStream 520W doesn't support SLI it only has 1 x 6-pin which SLI needs 2 x 6-pin connnectors

Oklahoma Wolf said:
The OCZ units are already more expensive than I believe they could be, but I definitely agree about the overpricing on the 600w. I have still not completely added that model to my recommendations because of it. Last time I checked, the OCZ 600w up here could be found at most places for around $250, while a corresponding Topower P6 600w unit (except no external pots and shorter warranty) can be had under $160. The prices need to come down IMO.

That said, Seasonic is also priced a little higher than I like to see. In comparing the two, OCZ will have the advantage for features and warranty. Seasonic will have the edge for efficiency, build quality, and silence. When considering PSU's at these price levels however, it also pays to consider the PC P&C 510w models.

I think Oklahoma Wolf hits it on the head. The Seasonic S12 600w is $50 less than the OCZ. So, if you're really looking to spend over $200 then you should add PC P&C into the mix.

OCS911 said:
OCZ PowerStream 520W is 20pin PSU which you can use 20-pin to 24-pin adapter but some people preferred 24-pin PSU for better Wire Management, also OCZ PowerStream 520W doesn't support SLI it only has 1 x 6-pin which SLI needs 2 x 6-pin connnectors

Well its the other way around.. It has a native 24-pin connector, with a cable from 24 pin to 20 pin.

You are right about SLI connections though. Still there are converters for the extra PCI-E card if you are using SLI (4 pin molex to PCI-E power plug ). In the end it doesn't really matter. It's a fine PSU for most things.

At this point in time there is no need for anything higher.. of course, in the future you never know... but with the way things are going, we are going to need 1 kw p.s.u's in the not so distant future.

Such a sexy finish on the OCZ, thats one of the reasons i got it. :p PowerStream 600w also.

008.jpg

Powering this very nicely..

03.jpg

Slayer2003 said:
Such a sexy finish on the OCZ, thats one of the reasons i got it. :p PowerStream 600w also.

can you tell me how laud is powerstream 600

Last edited:
Well, I haven't actually tested it yet with a voltmeter, but the led's in the back, will tell you if a rail drops below a certain voltage, they change from green, to yellow, which is in the 5% range i think, and red, which is lower than 10% of adiquate.

But, I haven't had any problems such as a drain or drop in perfornamce when i turn on or off any fans n lighting, or dim the fans up or down.

Here's what I'm running atm:

P4 775 540 with a mild oc to 3.6
ABIT AG8
MSI pci-e 6600gt
gig of corsair xms ddr400, xtra low lat.
2 250gig sata drives, and a lite-on dvd-rw dual layer 16x burner
4 dual ccfl kits
4 high-speed sunon 80mm fans, 2 on the stock lian-li fan controller, 2 on the sunbeam controller
2 y.s. tech 120mm 104cfm fans on the sunbeam fan controller
Swiftech MCP650 pump

I'm looking into buying a decent meter in the near future, but atm, i really have no means to test the actual rails. It seems to run smoother than my Antec 480TruBlue psu though. ;)

Back