• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM ThinkPad A31 and PCMCIA Wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with my thinkpad a31 when I plug in any PCMCIA wireless network adapter, it is not detected. Other PCMCIA cards work fine. I know there is an internal mini pci wireless card available but I do not have the budget to purchase one at this time. Is this a known issue with IBM or is there a work around or patch or hack available?

Thanks in advance.

RPM

BUMP

I tested with an identical card and have the same issue as well as upgraded to win XP SP2.

The wireless NIC I am using is a GigaFast 802.11b

Anyone have any sugestions?

yes, right click my computer, goto manage, goto services and applications -> services then turn on wireless zero configuration service.

elfiena said:
yes, right click my computer, goto manage, goto services and applications -> services then turn on wireless zero configuration service.

Just tried those steps and have the same issue. Tried with the service off as well.

Also reinstalled the driver.

Is there a chance it is not working because the laptop is IBM (proprietary)?

RPM_Computing said:
Is there a chance it is not working because the laptop is IBM (proprietary)?

No

Try removing it from device manager. then reboot then put is card and see if Windows sees it and installs it on its own.

Kendan said:
No

Try removing it from device manager. then reboot then put is card and see if Windows sees it and installs it on its own.

The card is not detected at all. I can not see it in device manager. Not even as an unknown device. When I plug the card in the PCMCIA slot nothing happens at all.

When I plug in any other PCMCIA card they detect withought any problems.

This is very frustrating as everything else works fine.

tai

In my search for an answer I have tested several PCMCIA wireless cards. 802.11b and g series have been tested with no success for having the card to be detected.

I removed my HD and put in a temp hd and loaded win ME on it. Still no success but now the card is powering up in the win ME environment.

Again I have been able to successfully detect all other PCMCIA cards with this IBM TP A31.

Anyone have any additional info to assist?

I am making some progress with win XP Pro. I plugged in a PCMCIA card in the lower slot and plugged in the wireless in the top slot and the wireless card is detected as "mtd-0002" This appears to be a problem for several people using Compaq Laptops with a Phoenix Bios where there is a workaround to disable the Sound Blaster feature.

Unfortunately I do not have the option to disable Sound Blaster in my ThinkPad a31 BIOS

I found this at Microsoft:

Certain R2 PC Cards Are Incorrectly Enumerated as Memory Cards

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319326

The fix is to update to SP 2 which is suppose to be the fix, but no go there.

appears to be a hardware issue.

I put the wireless adapter in the upper pcmcia slot and pulled up on the antena with careful force and windows detected the card as Ethernet Adapter. I was able to install the drivers and obtain a wireless connection withought any issue.

I took apart the A31 unit and there appears to be some cracked plastic on the pcmcia card slots. eBay has one for $10.00

I bought the A31 second hand knowing it would need some work but I have never seen a laptop able to detect ALL PCMCIA cards except wireless.

Strange and frustrating but I am hopeful that a new component will resolve this issue.

Back