• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Man 6600non GT's aren't that great....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Well i have been toying with my 6600non GT 256mb PCI-E card trying to get some decent benchmarks out of it. My AM3 scores can't seem to break 52k @ 2.7ghz on my Venice, Getting mid 18k on 3dmark01, and about 6900 on 3dmark03...

My old P4 3.0E @ 3.3ghz and a PNY 5900nu > 5950u got better scores then this thing and are last generation too.

My clocks are 500/550 atm and can't seem to get it stable higher then that. I know this isn't no 6600gt, but i think it should atleast score higher then last generations midrange card.

Anyone got any easy mods for this thing? I don't really care if i blow it up, it'll give me more reasons to get either a 6600gt or an x800xl lol...

I don't think anything can be really done for that card, no softmodding, no flashing because GT uses DDR3 while this uses DDR. So your basically stuck with it :)

500/550 is pretty much what a stock 6600GT is at (memory is higher), and you should be getting higher 3dmark 2003 scores than that. Last I remember, I got around 8600 or so, stock XFX 6600GT.

Know Nuttin said:
500/550 is pretty much what a stock 6600GT is at (memory is higher), and you should be getting higher 3dmark 2003 scores than that. Last I remember, I got around 8600 or so, stock XFX 6600GT.

I don't think 6600nonGT can score quite close to a 6600GT because of the GDDR3 ram on the GT.

Remember that last generation's card still give many new cards a run for their money in Dx8. Running 3dmark05 will show you a much bigger delta between your card and your 5950. Even so, the non-GT's have very little headroom, as you're finding out.

Good luck!

I'd love to volt mod this thing, but considering i have never soldered before i would be a little nervous :p

Think i am just going to put a big stock athlon xp HSF on the core, and sink the ram.

EDIT:

brickout said:
Remember that last generation's card still give many new cards a run for their money in Dx8. Running 3dmark05 will show you a much bigger delta between your card and your 5950. Even so, the non-GT's have very little headroom, as you're finding out.

Good luck!

Yeah but Aquamark 3 is a dx9 benchmark.

Hmm you can't just mod the BIOS like you could with the 6800's? That's what i did on my 6800nu to get me from 1.3v to 1.4v????

i recall this review compared overclocked 6600 non-gts to stock 6600gts, and the scores were often within 10% of each other.

i'm going to pick up a refurb 6200 and see what it can do - $51 shipped from newegg, why not take a chance? refurb 6600 non-gts are $70 or so shipped, you could buy two for the price of one gt and sell the worse overclocker of the two. or you could get three 6200s.

but the fefurb 6200's from newegg proboly were sent back with a unlock failure.

yeah i'm trying my luck anyway, they're not too hard to ebay if unlocking fails. i was going to get the leadtek 6600 refurb but for whatever reason it was unlisted the night i ordered, but appeared again for $66 the next morning. grr.

Back