• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How come my 3000+ wont overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sclorch

Registered
I have an A64 3000+, an Asus A8N- SLI deluxe, and some samsung value ram. Today is the first time I've ever overclocked anything, I left my voltages stock at 1.4v and checked my memory for its highest oc, which was 230 mhz (what I expected from value ram) Then I try to oc my processor, I can't even hit 2.0 ghz! I can push the fsb to 215 stable, but any higher and I get bsod's and freezes. I turned down the HT or whatever to 4x then 3x and still no help. I don't know what to do, I think I might have a dud mb or processor. I am pretty sure it is my processor and not my ram because I even tried 220mhz fsb running a 5:6 divider and I still froze with my memory underclocked. This is a brand new computer that I built so I dont know whats wrong, btw my cpu temps about 24 - 30 depending on load, and it barely even went up today so I don't think its a heating issue
Help please

hold the phone there bro, what BIOS revision are you using and is it a Winchester or Venice core? Whats the exact name/model # of the ram?

If you want to be positively sure it's not the RAM, set it to 100mhz and then try OCing with the memory down there in la-la land.

If you want to be positively sure it's not the mobo, set the multiplier at 1x, leave the memory at 100mhz, and then start running the HTT up.

If these work OK, then you can OC the CPU a lot by setting the multiplier to max (for you is 9x), leave the memory at 100mhz, and start moving the HTT up towards whatever your max HTT was in 5mhz increments. You'll want to set the Vcore to 1.50-1.55V to really get an idea of what your CPU can do.

A number of reviews, including the HardOCP review, showed the A8N-SLI Deluxe crapping out at around HTT of 220. It's possible you might have a crappy one like the one Kyle looked at.

Back